Mentally impaired certificate

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi again! I know some of you know more about this than me. Dad has got the mentally impaired certificate and has got his council tax off. So, does this mean he "lacks capacity" ? Or does it mean he has memory problems?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
According to the factsheet at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...l/discounts-disregards-exemptions-council-tax

A person with dementia may be disregarded if they are severely mentally impaired. This applies to anyone who meets all of the following criteria:

• has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent,
  • has a certificate confirming this impairment from a registered medical practitioner, usually the person’s GP or consultant,
  • is entitled to certain disability benefits - the most common qualifying benefits are Attendance allowance (lower or higher rate), Disability living allowance (higher or middle rate care components) and Personal independence payment (lower or higher rate of the daily living component).
Many people with dementia meet all three criteria, so are disregarded under the severe mental impairment rules.

That doesn't mention capacity, which https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/assessing-capacity covers.
I hope one of those is of help to you.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Hi again! I know some of you know more about this than me. Dad has got the mentally impaired certificate and has got his council tax off. So, does this mean he "lacks capacity" ? Or does it mean he has memory problems?

If it is a Section 47 certificate it means he lacks capacity.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I really don’t understand half of what goes on with the council tax rebates etc, but if you qualify for pension credits you don’t pay council tax?!
Anyways ..... I just keep filling in the forms & sending them back
Mum keeps getting rebates & her finances are now getting beyond my paltry understanding so hubby of the soon to be sainthood is filing all paperwork & in charge of finances!
Phew!!!
Only so many hours in the day !

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
According to the factsheet at https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-s...l/discounts-disregards-exemptions-council-tax

A person with dementia may be disregarded if they are severely mentally impaired. This applies to anyone who meets all of the following criteria:

• has a severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning which appears to be permanent,
  • has a certificate confirming this impairment from a registered medical practitioner, usually the person’s GP or consultant,
  • is entitled to certain disability benefits - the most common qualifying benefits are Attendance allowance (lower or higher rate), Disability living allowance (higher or middle rate care components) and Personal independence payment (lower or higher rate of the daily living component).
Many people with dementia meet all three criteria, so are disregarded under the severe mental impairment rules.

That doesn't mention capacity, which https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/assessing-capacity covers.
I hope one of those is of help to you.
Thank you

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I really don’t understand half of what goes on with the council tax rebates etc, but if you qualify for pension credits you don’t pay council tax?!
Anyways ..... I just keep filling in the forms & sending them back
Mum keeps getting rebates & her finances are now getting beyond my paltry understanding so hubby of the soon to be sainthood is filing all paperwork & in charge of finances!
Phew!!!
Only so many hours in the day !
What do you mean??? I thought there were 25 !;):(

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Just worn out by it all, & sorting paperwork again doesn’t help!
I’m sure it’s over the yardarm somewhere?
I can sympathise.I have done housework today and walked the dogs.I got my hair cut (finally)and chose my new glasses (again)finally!I haven’t done any of dads paperwork today.Maybe tomorrow.Then back to him Monday for a trip to Sainsbury’s (wonderful not)!We spend 3 hours in the cafe and is is so painful!:(.It looked like it was going to be sunny Cornwall today but not so!..Dad has carers all day today so they can deal with anything.I get to the stage where I am not sleeping at night but hey ho I will tonight.Take care.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
The not sleeping at night but I sympathise with. I yo-yo between exhaustion & comatose.
As for hair- funny story!
Saved up to have baby highlights to even out the grey! Ended up with Donald trump hair & £200 lighter after going back & saying I’m not happy!
Ended up so exhausted after 4 visits to get hair de - trumped that I have cut 6 inches off my hair with the kitchen scissors !!

It will grow again! Meanwhile I look like a geriatric Shirley Temple!!!!
:oops::oops::oops:

It can only happen to me!!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
The not sleeping at night but I sympathise with. I yo-yo between exhaustion & comatose.
As for hair- funny story!
Saved up to have baby highlights to even out the grey! Ended up with Donald trump hair & £200 lighter after going back & saying I’m not happy!
Ended up so exhausted after 4 visits to get hair de - trumped that I have cut 6 inches off my hair with the kitchen scissors !!

It will grow again! Meanwhile I look like a geriatric Shirley Temple!!!!
:oops::oops::oops:

It can only happen to me!!
:):D

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I am afraid that I would look like a drag queen if I did that!!
Plus think hubby who is follically challenged would pass out in shock if I had less hair than him !!
Either that or die laughing!!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I once went sleep walking and cut off all my hair with scissors - didnt discover it until it got to morning and there was a pile of hair on the floor with scissors next to it!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
No, I definitely sleepwalked as the scissors/hair was downstairs and I woke up in the morning upstairs in my bed with no hair.
I have been known to sleepwalk at other times, but this is the only time I have done something like that.