Sorry to bring this up

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife's son finally seems to be making something of an effort to see his Mam after months of inaction. He has come up from London to see her twice in about a month, during the school holiday period so that granddaughter could come too. Yesterday he decided to take my wife out on a car trip to the seaside. Unfortunately, not long into the journey she was sick, forcing a stop for a partial clean up and a quick return to her care home. That was the end of the visit. It was unfortunate after he had made the effort to come so far. He might be better sticking to shorter trips in future.

Speaking to the care staff today, they feel that the motion of the car might have had something to do with it. That could make sense as he is a safe but rather fast driver who pays little heed to the comfort of his passengers. It might have been something that she ate (not necessarily food!). Either way, she was back on form shortly afterwards and was eagerly anticipating her fish and chips when I saw her earlier today.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
My granny had different problems in her 90s, but she became increasingly housebound and a couple of trips in the car were more trouble for her than they were worth as she could not cope with the motion or the traffic. It's sad that your wife's son's visit was not successful, Northumbrian K.

Glokta

Jul 22, 2019
My Grandmas last ride in an ambulance thrilled her despite being very ill. She was absolutely convinced she’d been in a helicopter and continued with that belief for the rest of her life. She told everyone she met about it!

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Trips out from Mum's CH sometimes cause travel sickness in residents. I was told that some dementia drugs exacerbate travel sickness.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It could have been motion sickness affecting her balance @northumbrian_k

My husband used to drive 3000 miles a week but as a passenger with dementia often complained of feeling sick and dizzy.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My dad gets car sick now,even down the road to the store.I have got sickness pills from the doctor and give him one of those.Dad has VD and balance issues .

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
Less is more.....does your wife want an excursion? Perhaps just a visit is best, ordering a take away for everyone for a treat. This disease loves routine. Maybe getting out is just too much for her.
Happy to hear you are seeing some effort from the son. Let us hope this experience does not cut off the efforts.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Less is more.....does your wife want an excursion? Perhaps just a visit is best, ordering a take away for everyone for a treat. This disease loves routine. Maybe getting out is just too much for her.
Happy to hear you are seeing some effort from the son. Let us hope this experience does not cut off the efforts.
You are right of course. My wife is happy to go for a walk to the nature reserve or nearby cafe, although she won't always go in. Sometimes just going into the garden is enough. I stopped going on trips out months ago. But her son thinks that he knows better. At least he is trying. I don't think that he will risk a repeat performance.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife was in bed sound asleep and snoring when I visited her this morning. From what the staff told me, she has been drinking and eating plenty but hasn’t seemed herself for the last few days. She has also wet her bed a couple of times which she has never done before. I let her sleep on while I sorted out a change of clothes. I managed to wake her by tickling her feet but she wanted to stay in bed even though it was getting on time for Sunday lunch. Her protests at being tickled - which once would have earned me an ear-bashing - were mild. I thought that her eyes looked very heavy, almost glazed. The staff suggested that a urine test and perhaps a GP appointment seem to be indicated. I gave her a kiss and left her to doze. It is too early to worry if this is a downturn or just something that will clear up in a day or two.

Last edited:

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife seemed lively and back on form again this afternoon, although in a stroppy mood. She wanted to go ‘home’, to her gran’s or to see her mother. She was nice to everyone else but rather nasty to me, with some gratuitous bad language. In a new development, she was getting rather over-familiar with a male resident until one of the staff put an end to it. I took the dog with me hoping that it would cheer her up. It did but also gave her another stick to beat me with. It was all quite mild compared to some of the things she said when she was at home. I’ve got used to being called all sorts of names one minute then getting a hug the next ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose