Immobile and locked in overnight .

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi again.I seem to be on here a lot lately.My concern is my dad (PWD).He has fluctuating capacIty.He sleeps in a hospital bed with rails overnight. He has a phone and life line on when he goes to bed...He does not know how to use his mobile .I'm not sure that he would remember to use his life line.My concern is that he is locked in overnight with a keysafe.The carers put him to bed at 18.00 .They are back in the morning at 8.45 to get him up...He has no over night care.He is self funding....I am concerned that if he choked or had a fire he would fry.I know he could get carers in but that is very expensive as you know.I cannot do any more as I have an ill mum as well.I have informed the doctor about my concerns..Any ideas?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Not sure quite what you can do if you'he cant afford someone there overnight. - which is the obvious solution.

Residential care would be the next step I guess

Something like a camera would be useless in the event of choking or a fire.You probably wouldnt be able to react quickly enough

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Not sure quite what you can do if you'he cant afford someone there overnight. - which is the obvious solution.

Residential care would be the next step I guess

Something like a camera would be useless in the event of choking or a fire.You probably wouldnt be able to react quickly enough
Thank you...I wasn't sure if this was a safeguarding issue.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would find it terrifying @TNJJ.

My husband was at a stage when he was unable to know he needed help but I was with him.

My mother was mobile but also unable to know if she needed help. She was self funding and residential care took all her savings and the money from her house but at least she was safe.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I would find it terrifying @TNJJ.

My husband was at a stage when he was unable to know he needed help but I was with him.

My mother was mobile but also unable to know if she needed help. She was self funding and residential care took all her savings and the money from her house but at least she was safe.
This capacity malarkey does not help.Dad will refuse more carers as he is worried about money.When he came out of hospital the 2 nd time he had already been diagnosed and was not too bad.But now his mobility is a lot worse,plus his memory.Doctor has said he is not ready for a care home yet..Dad is digging his heels in as he won't go into a home.We have a lot of equipment in the bungalow already.....Not sure what else to do.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was told I was not allowed to lock my dad in his house alone while was in danger of wandering in the early hours of morning and putting himself in danger because he’d need to be able to get out if there was a fire.

But after he lost mobility SS were happy to suggest he could live alone with a key safe to let carers in and out. I argued that it was a safeguarding issue and managed to keep dad in care. But he had lost capacity by then -SS tried to prove he hadn’t -and I had POA for Health and Welfare.

It seems like a double standard to me.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I was told I was not allowed to lock my dad in his house alone while was in danger of wandering in the early hours of morning and putting himself in danger because he’d need to be able to get out if there was a fire.

But after he lost mobility SS were happy to suggest he could live alone with a key safe to let carers in and out. I argued that it was a safeguarding issue and managed to keep dad in care. But he had lost capacity by then -SS tried to prove he hadn’t -and I had POA for Health and Welfare.

It seems like a double standard to me.
It was SS that said he could have a key safe,over 18months ago. Dad understands questions but not always the consequences.As far as the carers and Gp go..Dad has capacity.I also have LPOA for Health and Welfare.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
No.I didn’t even know he had to be

Contact your community fire brigade & they will sort it for you.
My Dad was deaf, lots of health problems & very vulnerable. They came out out & fitted things & put a red flag on the property. When Dad died I had to contact them to get it removed.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Aside from a fire risk, you mention that you are concerned about your Dad choking in the night, presumably due to health reasons? If there is any risk of him choking at night, and he is refusing night time care, then you need to let social services know as this is a safeguarding concern which can't be remedied by having a key safe.

Although your Dad is worried about money maybe the best way to approach it with him is to ask whether he would prefer to stay at home or go to a care home, and explain that getting a night time carer in will mean that he can stay at home.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Aside from a fire risk, you mention that you are concerned about your Dad choking in the night, presumably due to health reasons? If there is any risk of him choking at night, and he is refusing night time care, then you need to let social services know as this is a safeguarding concern which can't be remedied by having a key safe.

Although your Dad is worried about money maybe the best way to approach it with him is to ask whether he would prefer to stay at home or go to a care home, and explain that getting a night time carer in will mean that he can stay at home.
Yes he has swallowing issues from his stroke.I have mentioned it to dad before and he has declined it.As he is “going to get better and walk without a frame “.Carers say he has capacity.Apparently,they have 40clients and they all have capacity.So it says on the website.I have come early one morning and found him covered in chocolate vomit.The carers were there as well.This has happened twice..I ration him on chocolate for that one reason.He is on his own at night from 18.00 to 8.45am...I have mentioned it to SS already and they have said that he can get night care in ,”If I am that worried “...I think I might just email them again and the doctor...I will contact the fire brigade..Makes me laugh though the carers,GP and SS have duty of care and yet it is left to me..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lesley&john