I'd like you all to meet Jim

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
My husband has Alzheimers. His name is not Jim. He is usually doing one of three things. He sits quietly with his eyes closed. Or he paces about from one room to another. Or he talks non stop, talking nonsense.

His conversation goes something like this :-
"Put your socks on Jim".
"Pull your socks up Jim".
"What's in here Jim" - opening a drawer in the coffee table.
Then taking everything out of the drawer he says.
"Here's the nail set Jim".
"Here's the chinese takeaway Jim" - then he reads through some of the dishes.
"Not today Jim"
"Put it all back Jim"
Then he'll pace from room to room, still talking to Jim.
Then it's back to the drawer in the coffee table and everything comes out again.

It could sound funny if it wasn't all the time, day after day after day.

What I want to know is who the hell is Jim.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
How wearing @jenniferjean.

I know you’re not really looking for an answer but my first thought was Captain James T Kirk...”It’s life Jim - but not as we know it!”...pretty much sums up living with dementia!

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
When my husband was in his nursing home the man across the corridor from him was bed bound and kept up a conversation with himself all day. He was himself and the reply came from him but in a different voice. His conversation was always about shooting himself. So he would say in his normal voice ‘don’t shoot me’ then the reply came back ‘I’ll shoot you if I want to’. Some days he was brave and say ‘ go on shoot me if you dare’ and so it went on all day every day. There were days when I longed to hear the bang.

This was in the last three months of my husband’s life where he slept all day so it never affected him but I could imagine the three-way conversation that would have gone on had he been aware.

Last edited:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
C
My husband has Alzheimers. His name is not Jim. He is usually doing one of three things. He sits quietly with his eyes closed. Or he paces about from one room to another. Or he talks non stop, talking nonsense.

"Put your socks on Jim".
"Not today Jim"
"Put it all back Jim"
Then it's back to the drawer in the coffee table and everything comes out again.

could it be Jim out of Treasure Island? That would make your husband Long John Silver!

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga

"Put your socks on Jim".
"Not today Jim"
"Put it all back Jim"

Hi jenniferjean:

My husband does the exact same. My husband hasn't given his Jim a name, but he comes out as someone else to blame not him, he did it not me. I believe it's the side that does things incorrectly. Blame him not me, I didn't do it he did. He still knows what's wrong & what's right and he doesn't want you to get angry at him. My husband does it particularly when he pees on the floor, BLAME HIM NOT ME. He still knows I have to clean it up and that doesn't make me happy. It's difficult but true. Take Care.