Inadequate care home

SBU

Aug 16, 2019
My mum has dementia and has been in a care home for 2 years during which time it has gone from being Good to Inadequate. A recent inspection report is damning, inadequate in all areas, and GQC is taking enforcement action, details of which it has not yet published. I am concerned the home is under serious threat of closure.

I really don't know what to do or who turn to for advice. Do I think about moving mum to another home now, which will be very stressful for her? Or do I wait and see what develops? I have to say that despite the report's findings, on the whole she is well looked after.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Does the home have any kind of relatives forum? Given the seriousness of the situation I would have thought a meeting with relatives and management might be helpful or failing that, ask to speak to the manager. If the home is under threat of closure then you need to know what the alternatives are. I would say it depends on the problems and closure often sparks further problems - like a lack of local places so is really a last resort.
I think they need to be open with you about what the issues are - even before the report publication, they probably know. What is their action plan? If they don't have one or you have concerns about level of care/staffing/safety, it may be worth being proactive and looking at other homes

SBU

Aug 16, 2019
Does the home have any kind of relatives forum? Given the seriousness of the situation I would have thought a meeting with relatives and management might be helpful or failing that, ask to speak to the manager. If the home is under threat of closure then you need to know what the alternatives are. I would say it depends on the problems and closure often sparks further problems - like a lack of local places so is really a last resort.
I think they need to be open with you about what the issues are - even before the report publication, they probably know. What is their action plan? If they don't have one or you have concerns about level of care/staffing/safety, it may be worth being proactive and looking at other homes

Thank you for your reply. Yesterday evening I did indeed receive a call and email from an interim management team that has been appointed at the care home to oversee the immediate improvements the CQC requires and they have invited all relatives to a meeting next week and advise that neither the owner or CQC wants to see the home close. The manager has been suspended too. Hopefully things will improve soon.

SBU

Aug 16, 2019
Thank you for the link and this has provided me with more information about the process. I have now been invited to a relatives meeting with the new interim management team about the way forward.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
My mum has dementia and has been in a care home for 2 years during which time it has gone from being Good to Inadequate. A recent inspection report is damning, inadequate in all areas, and GQC is taking enforcement action, details of which it has not yet published. I am concerned the home is under serious threat of closure.

I really don't know what to do or who turn to for advice. Do I think about moving mum to another home now, which will be very stressful for her? Or do I wait and see what develops? I have to say that despite the report's findings, on the whole she is well looked after.

Hello @SBU we are in the same boat with mums carehome, perhaps a couple of months further along in the process. Like you it came as a real shock to see the CQC findings which were terrible BUT did not reflect our experience of mums care, which although did have some issues, on the whole we were happy with.
There has been a relatives meeting which was very well attended & very vocal & promises of support to everyone. The authorities involved say they will do all they can to avert closure & put in place the necessary support structures to improve things. Another meeting is scheduled next month.
I would say your decision whether or not to move your relative depends on whether you are self funding & can freely choose or if LA funded which my mum is so we are at the mercy of others decisions. One thing I will say if self funded is that you are at liberty to check out availability in other homes now. If closure does come sometime further on places will be harder to find. Hopefully this won't happen for either of us. Best wishes.

Dosey

Nov 27, 2017
Hi SBU
If the manager has been suspended then it sounds like her leadership was inadequate. The CQC hopefully will give the home a timetable to sort out any findings and improve their scores. There is so many standards to achieve, hopefully there is no serious issues that affect the residents physically.
Hopefully you get some reassurance soon
Rose x

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi@SBU

If your experience has been that the level of care for your mum has been good, then apart from the initial worry about possible closure, I personally wouldn't worry.

In my view, CQC inspections (rather like OFSTEAD inspections) are largely a snapshot for the day (or days) the inspectors were there (unless their visit was prompted by any complaints or concerns)?

It's a bit like passing your driving test - you can have had numerous lessons and practice, but it only takes a couple of blips on the day and it all goes wrong.

In looking at quite a few care homes for when my wife reaches that stage, I've read many CQC reports plus visited the homes. Les than Good reports are usually centred around leadership and safeguarding, with the narrative often praising the actual standard of care and compassion shown by the care-givers.

In fact, Good or Outstanding generally means that the establishment will not then be visited again for a number of years. In my mind, those homes judged as needing improvement therefore get the attention required to ensure they get their act together (often processes, procedures and accountability - for this, read paperwork, paperwork and yet more paperwork!).

It does sound that in your case, the home owners have sprung into action so hopefully, you should soon be able to rest easy.

Good luck
Phil

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
If you didn't have any concerns about your mum's care or the home before the rating came to light I would attend the meeting, remain vigilant with the care and meanwhile make a few enquiries as to other homes around. If swift action is being taken and they improve quickly in the areas of concern all may be ok. Just a change of leadership can change things dramatically either way.

SBU

Aug 16, 2019
Hello @SBU we are in the same boat with mums carehome, perhaps a couple of months further along in the process. Like you it came as a real shock to see the CQC findings which were terrible BUT did not reflect our experience of mums care, which although did have some issues, on the whole we were happy with.
There has been a relatives meeting which was very well attended & very vocal & promises of support to everyone. The authorities involved say they will do all they can to avert closure & put in place the necessary support structures to improve things. Another meeting is scheduled next month.
I would say your decision whether or not to move your relative depends on whether you are self funding & can freely choose or if LA funded which my mum is so we are at the mercy of others decisions. One thing I will say if self funded is that you are at liberty to check out availability in other homes now. If closure does come sometime further on places will be harder to find. Hopefully this won't happen for either of us. Best wishes.

Thank you for replying. My mum is self funded so obviously it is entirely our decision and I will look at alternatives just in case the improvements don't happen.

I do hope things also improve at your mum's home and she can stay there. The stress and distress this would cause to my mum, and no doubt to yours, is what worries me the most.

Best wishes to you.

SBU

Aug 16, 2019
Hi SBU
If the manager has been suspended then it sounds like her leadership was inadequate. The CQC hopefully will give the home a timetable to sort out any findings and improve their scores. There is so many standards to achieve, hopefully there is no serious issues that affect the residents physically.
Hopefully you get some reassurance soon
Rose x

Thanks for replying Rose. The new management team is quickly making changes so hopefully improvements will be in place quickly and a new permanent manager appointed.

SBU

Aug 16, 2019
Hi@SBU

If your experience has been that the level of care for your mum has been good, then apart from the initial worry about possible closure, I personally wouldn't worry.

In my view, CQC inspections (rather like OFSTEAD inspections) are largely a snapshot for the day (or days) the inspectors were there (unless their visit was prompted by any complaints or concerns)?

It's a bit like passing your driving test - you can have had numerous lessons and practice, but it only takes a couple of blips on the day and it all goes wrong.

In looking at quite a few care homes for when my wife reaches that stage, I've read many CQC reports plus visited the homes. Les than Good reports are usually centred around leadership and safeguarding, with the narrative often praising the actual standard of care and compassion shown by the care-givers.

In fact, Good or Outstanding generally means that the establishment will not then be visited again for a number of years. In my mind, those homes judged as needing improvement therefore get the attention required to ensure they get their act together (often processes, procedures and accountability - for this, read paperwork, paperwork and yet more paperwork!).

It does sound that in your case, the home owners have sprung into action so hopefully, you should soon be able to rest easy.

Good luck
Phil

Thanks for reply and yes I agree that one shouldn't always take too much notice of ratings. One 'outstanding' home we looked at 2 years ago smelt strongly of urine and residents were mainly sitting on their own in their own rooms.

We have always been satisfied with the caring and respectful attitude of the staff so hope the required improvements can be put in place.

I am sorry that your wife may need to go into a care home and wish you all the best.

SBU

Aug 16, 2019
If you didn't have any concerns about your mum's care or the home before the rating came to light I would attend the meeting, remain vigilant with the care and meanwhile make a few enquiries as to other homes around. If swift action is being taken and they improve quickly in the areas of concern all may be ok. Just a change of leadership can change things dramatically either way.

Thank you so much for your reply and it is sound advice indeed which I shall certainly follow.