Regsitering POA for Health and Welfare

daveyshadow

Jan 14, 2015
Hi

Quick question, just after FIL died in 2015 we had POA documents raised for both Financial and Health situations for MIL at the insistence of her brother by a solicitor and registered at the OPG.

Since then OH and myself have merrily managed her finances. We have a debit card on the current account and are registered on her savings accounts and pay for everything as necessary using the POA document.

The GP has now deemed MIL to not have capacity to make decisions about her health and welfare and SS are setting up a best interests assessment. The lady I spoke to said we have to register the POA, but didn't know what we have to do, so does anyone here know. Do I need to go back to the solicitor who drew them up and registered them with the OPG? How do I use the document we have? There is 1 copy at MIL's house and I have a couple of certified copies to use.

Thanks in advance for advice

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
If the POA has already been registered with the OPG then it doesn't need to be registered again. Sounds like the lady you spoke to wasn't aware that it had already been registered. You can start to use it now that the GP has deemed that your MIL does not have capacity to make decisions about her health and welfare. In terms of using it, you can give a copy to the GP so that they can discuss your MIL's health issues directly with you. Social services will probably ask for a copy at the best interests meeting so take a copy with you. If your MIL has any hospital admissions in future make sure that you let the staff know that you have POA - they may ask for a copy. In all cases where I've provided a copy of Mum's H&W POA nobody has asked for a certified copy - they have accepted a photo copy of the original - but it's good that you have certified copies if required.

daveyshadow

Jan 14, 2015
If the POA has already been registered with the OPG then it doesn't need to be registered again. Sounds like the lady you spoke to wasn't aware that it had already been registered. You can start to use it now that the GP has deemed that your MIL does not have capacity to make decisions about her health and welfare. In terms of using it, you can give a copy to the GP so that they can discuss your MIL's health issues directly with you. Social services will probably ask for a copy at the best interests meeting so take a copy with you. If your MIL has any hospital admissions in future make sure that you let the staff know that you have POA - they may ask for a copy. In all cases where I've provided a copy of Mum's H&W POA nobody has asked for a certified copy - they have accepted a photo copy of the original - but it's good that you have certified copies if required.

Thanks that is what I thought

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
When we started to use the H&W one for Mummy, it had been registered with OPG and the care home and others took copies of our certified copy . You don't need further "registering" I think, but there are a lot of myths, from people who should know better.
The H&W LPA came in handy when Mummy was refusing medication and we agreed on her behalf to give it "covertly" i.e. in a liquid form or in her food.

DeBlonde

Jan 23, 2019
I also scanned Mums POAs, and kept a file of them on the computer. Very handy for attaching
to emails sent to various authorities.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne2024