heavy snoring/sleep apnea?

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
My mother has been snoring heavily the last few nights and in a deep sleep. She stopped breathing for about 20 seconds and started up again. It happened twice during the night.

Freaked me out even though it would be the best ending for her to die in her sleep.

Should I worry?Is it normal enough?Cant really go to a sleep clinic or tests etc.

She would be severe with DNR in place. Had a seizure last Wednesday and ever since has been talking a lot, reminiscing, stories we wouldn't have heard, asking for specific people from years ago.Im on edge a bit with her-its feels she could go at any time or last years, who knows!

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
To be perfectly honest and respectfully - I wouldn't go into trying to get this tested. It may well be linked to the seizure, or could be part of the dementia, or both, or neither. Think about what could be gained (for both of you?) if your mother was dragged through tests and appointments, possibly none of which she understood why or what was happening.

Twice for 20 seconds in one night may very well be "normal" for anyone. Try (and I know it's hard!) not to be too anxious about this. It's not causing her pain or distress or discomfort.

Hope you get some more responses from more experienced members :)

Catastrophe

Feb 15, 2019
Heavy snoring could be caused by a bit of hay fever, a different sleeping position or a slight virus. My OH, who does not have dementia, is a big snorer, has been always, regularly stops breathing--if I count up to about 100 between breaths I give him a bit of a nudge or kick. But usually he takes a breath before that. It can be quite scary.
My Dad who we look after and has dementia went through the sleep tests years ago before he was this bad and did use the controlled breathing machine for years. With the on set of dementia he can no longer use the machine. So even if test could be done, it's unlikely that the machine would be of use.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I would agree there would be little point in seeking diagnosis, treatment etc for this. It could be sleep apnoea and ~I can assure you the uses of a CPAP mask would not be tolerated. On the other hand it may be normal for your mother and recent events have made you more aware of minute changes in sleeping patterns. I am sorry you are so anxious about this. Yet another thing to worry about.

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
Its happening more and more and seemed to be struggling last night. Someone said you can get a plate for your mouth made but would mean a few visits to dentist which she wouldnt be able for.Apparently you are at risk of swallowing your tongue and of heartattck and stroke.

I mentioned in first post I knew we couldnt do tests etc-I was just wondering the options/double checking. I will run it by gp.Would rather ask in case something happened and they say why didnt you mentioned the sleep apnea.