It's been three years today

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Mum died three years today and I am feeling a little melancholic. I think of her often, as she was the world to me. When I was around 22, I remember being in the car with her (her little Volkswagen Beetle that she swore would do max 78 mph with a tail wind) and telling her to promise she wouldn't die before me. Mum simply said, in a slightly exasperated tone "Oh Joanne".

We were very close, I always thought no other mother and daughter were as close as we were. We had our disagreements and arguments, of course and plenty of them, but I did hero worship her, something I only realized once Alzheimer's had its evil claws in her.

This song by Paul Simon completely sums up how I felt, and feel, about my mother.
She was always there for me.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I knew your mum’s anniversary was coming up as I remembered it was not long after Bill’s.

Love the song. Thinking of you. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Ah, Joanne. These are the days when it`s natural to feel melancholia.

I know you will give yourself permission to remember your mother with such feeling.

CWR

Mar 17, 2019
Mum died three years today and I am feeling a little melancholic. I think of her often, as she was the world to me. When I was around 22, I remember being in the car with her (her little Volkswagen Beetle that she swore would do max 78 mph with a tail wind) and telling her to promise she wouldn't die before me. Mum simply said, in a slightly exasperated tone "Oh Joanne".

We were very close, I always thought no other mother and daughter were as close as we were. We had our disagreements and arguments, of course and plenty of them, but I did hero worship her, something I only realized once Alzheimer's had its evil claws in her.

This song by Paul Simon completely sums up how I felt, and feel, about my mother.
She was always there for me.
That's how I feel. Luckily mum still knew me up to the end. She would look at me and say: I couldnt love you any more or I loved you as soon as I saw you. She was the still centre of my world. Without her, there is an unfathomable void in my life.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My thoughts are with you Joanne, no anniversary is easy and doesn’t get any easier. We learn to manage better but the feeling never changes.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dear Joanne,

When I was a little girl I thought dad was the strongest man in the world and he and mum were my rocks. Mum died in 2008 but I felt that she was still with me in spirit and when dad died six months ago I lost my hero and I also realised I was grieving for the two of them. There are a couple of CDs that I still can't listen to so I think you're very brave.

MaNaAk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR