Help with my Nan

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
my Nan has dementia has 5 good days 2 bad days a week a week approx. She also has bad legs but will walk if she’s panicking. The past couple of nights she is standing at the door 1am saying someone is trying to hurt her. We have tried Care home she hated it and went a million times worse. Is there any tips on anything that could maybe alert us when she opens the door. My mum lives next door but one to her and can run in if there’s s problem but we don’t always hear it. I don’t want her to walk outside and fall. I know she wouldn’t get far cause of her legs and I would never lock her in from outside. This maybe a passing phase but we need some help. She won’t use the phone or press panic buttons we have tried the lot

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry your nan is giving you such worry Natashat. I don't know enough about safety devices, but wonder if extra care housing might be of interest. My partner and I are in extra care housing, which has secure doors opening only by pressing a pad on the wall, and the neighbouring scheme has carers on site 24 / 7. That gives her some of the security and me some of the care support of a home, but our own flat in independence. It's just a thought, hope it helps.

Abbey82

Jun 12, 2018
We use Door sensors on our front and rear doors that send you a message to your phone immediately when opened and closed. They are made by Eve (Eve Door & Window Wireless Contact Sensor) and close around £40, they can link to Apple Home or just a normal App on your phone

Natashat

Jul 26, 2017
W
We use Door sensors on our front and rear doors that send you a message to your phone immediately when opened and closed. They are made by Eve (Eve Door & Window Wireless Contact Sensor) and close around £40, they can link to Apple Home or just a normal App on your phone
would she need WiFi at home for that as she doesn’t have that

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Try calling your council and seeing if they have a Linkline service. You do not need the internet, just a normal phone line. My mother got a linkline service with a door monitor, if she opened the door it would alert a call centre who rang and spoke to her and asked her to go indoors. If she didn't, they would call the chosen contact (you). The service was free because she had dementia.

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
I'm also looking for door sensors, just to alert me so I know when my mum has gone out to the shop/for a walk and when she comes back in. She is still in early stages and usually ok to pop out locally, although there have been a couple of incidents recently so I'd like something to ensure she is coming home ok.

I looked at Just Checking and Canary Care but they seem a bit expensive at around £30 pm. Can anyone recommend anything else? I'll look at the Eve one mentioned on this thread. Thanks

Soroptimist

Jun 10, 2018
I'm also looking for door sensors, just to alert me so I know when my mum has gone out to the shop/for a walk and when she comes back in. She is still in early stages and usually ok to pop out locally, although there have been a couple of incidents recently so I'd like something to ensure she is coming home ok.

I looked at Just Checking and Canary Care but they seem a bit expensive at around £30 pm. Can anyone recommend anything else? I'll look at the Eve one mentioned on this thread. Thanks

We bought an aibeile tracker from China. It needed charging every 2/3 days. Think it worked out at around £5 per month for top ups. if your mum is able to keep this with her in her bag then you will be able to track where she is. you can also set up alerts so that if she goes around 50m from home it will send a message to you. We couldn't have managed without this, as my mum used to get on buses all the time and then try to walk back home.