Hypothetically

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
I’m waiting to hear back from the care home I went to view for my Mum so currently catastrophising about what could go wrong.

Like many PWD my Mum thinks she is coping really well, I do her finances, shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry and showers. IF? She refuses the care home has anyone ‘withdrawn their services’ so to speak? I realise that she probably still wouldn’t accept that she needs care and in all probability I wouldn’t actually do this, just wondering about others experiences.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
No, frustrated as I got, I never withdrew from all the things I did,, despite Mums denial.

I knew very well that if I did, it would be me that had to pick up the peices afterwards, meanwhile worrying myself silly that she'd come unstuck/hurt herself/fallen whilst I was playing the ''get on with it'' game.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
It is really hard to withdraw even when you know it is the only way to get action. My SIL does not have dementia but does have other issues which I find difficult to deal with. I am trying to convince myself that I must say no in future to requests from various bodies to step into the breech. If I keep solving her problems no one else will take over but I can’t keep doing this - haven’t come up with an answer so far.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Umm...I’m withdrawing from being the enabler. Mum lives two an a half hours away, & Dads in CH near me now.
I have cleaned, cooked, shopped & showered (power hosed) Mum; filed in all the forms she’s ignored, chased appointments, GPs, SS etc.
Nothing I do was ever right & I feel I have just alienated mums GP.

So I stepped back....
UTI & hospital admission
Now carers are going in, Mum cancelled some but another UTI later & the care package is 4 times a day plus DN visits at the moment.

I am lucky, I know; but it’s been hard won.

Stepping away & letting your PWD fail to manage daily life is very hard to do. But at least now Mums got in the system - just afraid she will fall through the gaps again.

Feistywoman

Aug 11, 2018
Thanks all, as I say in all probability I’d still do most of it anyway. Amazing that a loved ones dementia turns you into a gibbering wreck of self doubt, guilt and catastrophe! I’m usually a confident capable person....well I was.
@canary thanks for the link, I’ve had a read, my word poor family, glad it has ‘eventually’ worked out.

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
I know this sounds horrible, but I have given my siblings 12 months notice of me going back to my own flat, instead of caring 24/7.....all I asked for was more cooperation from them, cover for appointments, cover for a day so I could go out, but NO, no cooperation, so I have now said they have 12 months to sort alternative arrangements, well now it's 10 months!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet