"Give older people legal right to stay in their own homes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Just read the article. It is very sloppy writing, doesn't discuss the issues appropriately and is very confusing -are they talking about people with learning dissabilities, older people or pwd???

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
LPA until you can actually act on it is just a piece of paper. GP is the first point of call to get LPA activated, & GP can overrule a SW assessment using family/ friend background history of behaviour.

My Mum has (as did my Dad) written into the LPA the wish to remain in her home for as long as possible.

The GP is the co- ordinator & lynchpin a critical role for any of the current systems set in place to function.

SW, DN, carers etc rely on the GP to be the co- ordinator.

Can’t get anything done without the help of the GP

Annakey

Oct 26, 2018
https://www.theguardian.com/society...-right-to-stay-own-home-law-winterbourne-view

I find some of this very unsettling - "A person would be assumed to want to live in the community unless he or she indicated otherwise"

Which is something a PWD is very unlikely to do. In the meantime, who would be caring for the person in their own home? Do we really need the move to a care home made even harder?
It would be left to the poor put upon relatives as usual. I think it is a very bad idea. What about the rights of those left to pick up the pieces?

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Not me. My rights first and that is how it is and will continue to be. I'm selfish enough to want to keep my health and sanity.

Well I’m trying to be more selfish, & as for sanity I think I’m a little beyond that ...
But is it really selfish to want to not spend everyday battling & have some normality?

I think that it’s all or nothing sadly as if you have been doing it all - the expectation is you will continue to do it all.

So yes I am now becoming selfish & im proud of myself for learning to say no.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Fluctuating Capacity needs to be addressed more readily

Again it’s back to a GP to be the liaison & there lies the fundamental problem. Someone has to “own” the case, & liaise if it’s not the GP who is it?
This is where relatives get caught in the never ending loopholes.

Max68

Aug 21, 2018
Sussex
It's going to get harder for families as well as our surgery and I am sure many others now refuse by all accounts to take the responsibility to do mental capacity assessments. With mum it needed the hospital social worker to do it and now we have a COP application going through I have been told by the solicitor mum's GP won't touch a MCA with a barge pole so we have to look at finding someone else, despite her having one!!! So who is suddenly going to take responsibility for MCA 's if GP's start refusing to do them?!

Back to the original article. Everyone I am sure would much rather than stay in their own home, that goes without saying but it is riddled with as many issues and questions as moving a loved one into care. As a family we were concerned about the horror stories about care homes but with care in the home how do you also trust the one or two carers caring for a loved one?

Someone said that it would be cheaper economically but certainly not cheaper personally if you were looking for 24 hour care. From what I can see 24 hour home care would work out far more expensive than a care home and you would also have to take into account bills, spending and utilities on top of that home care most of which you "save" if you move into a care home. Then what does the government do when it comes to self funders as obviously a great many people have to sell their houses to fund their own care, but if they continue to live in them?!?!?!

The whole system is a mess and it can sadly only get worse because so many more people are living longer. The only way to partially solve the problem is to find a cure as obviously if your memory and thought processes were not affected you could live at home longer anyway.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
It's going to get harder for families as well as our surgery and I am sure many others now refuse by all accounts to take the responsibility to do mental capacity assessments. With mum it needed the hospital social worker to do it and now we have a COP application going through I have been told by the solicitor mum's GP won't touch a MCA with a barge pole so we have to look at finding someone else, despite her having one!!! So who is suddenly going to take responsibility for MCA 's if GP's start refusing to do them?!

Back to the original article. Everyone I am sure would much rather than stay in their own home, that goes without saying but it is riddled with as many issues and questions as moving a loved one into care. As a family we were concerned about the horror stories about care homes but with care in the home how do you also trust the one or two carers caring for a loved one?

Someone said that it would be cheaper economically but certainly not cheaper personally if you were looking for 24 hour care. From what I can see 24 hour home care would work out far more expensive than a care home and you would also have to take into account bills, spending and utilities on top of that home care most of which you "save" if you move into a care home. Then what does the government do when it comes to self funders as obviously a great many people have to sell their houses to fund their own care, but if they continue to live in them?!?!?!

The whole system is a mess and it can sadly only get worse because so many more people are living longer. The only way to partially solve the problem is to find a cure as obviously if your memory and thought processes were not affected you could live at home longer anyway.
I originally made the comment about it being more economical but that was meant as being cheaper for the government to keep people at home than having to fund care homes, build them, equip them and staff them for all those people who are not self funded. I am cynical enough to think that governments of all persuasions in many western countries are hellbent on cost cutting and are preparing the public for what life is going to be like as the population ages. When it comes to things like defence, it is a bottomless pit and you never hear about how expensive it is to build and maintain all the branches of a defence force or how they budget for it. Hospitals, schools, aged care? Laughable!

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@Lawson58 agreed re govts cutting costs and preparing people to expect to fund their own care.

@Max68 If you had to actually employ a 24 hour carer at home then yes it would be v expensive. The LA don't offer that and it's extremely unlikely they ever could, too expensive, and they'd never find enough staff to routinely do it. They provide 4 x 30 minute care visits per day and if that is not enough, the option is a care home.

Of course there are many people who would in theory be self funding via the sale of the property but there is a spouse still living there, so the LA still have to fund the care. In those cases of course the LA wants the PWD to stay at home to be looked after by the spouse plus a couple of carer visits - much cheaper!

Alzheimer's Society

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 6, 2009
www.alzheimers.org.uk
Hi everyone,

The moderation team have decided to close this discussion as it has run its course, and also comes under our guidelines on political discussions.

I hope you can understand why this decision has been taken. If you have any questions or concerns, please email talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and one of the team will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Dementia Talking Point Team

Status
Not open for further replies.