An A-Z of dementia

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
'A-Z of Dementia' we launched on the main website last week.

I may be going blind , but unless I go to that Link you left "Said" I can't see it on Main page of the website

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thank - you Sylvia nice to see your duck is back :)

Also thank - you " Said " for your hard work in doing the A - Z well done :)

pebble

Apr 18, 2008
The Borders, Scotland
S for Scotland
This is a big item as so much terminology and procedure is different here eg we apply to the Sheriff court for a Guardianship Order (Welfare or Financial) and in England it is all called something different.
Actually thinking about it you have users all over the globe - maybe it should be T for translation of terminology or some such!
pebble (Scotland)

Anniekirks

Oct 31, 2008
Tyne & Wear
Wonderful

I am quite new to this site, this is my 3rd post, but i wanted to say a huge "Thank You and Well Done"!! I've just read through the pages of "An A to Z of Dementia" and found it very informative and helpful.

A few of my family members dont fully understand my Dads behaviour and find it irritating and annoying, so i am going to print out some of the pages in the A to Z for them to read and hopefully will help them understand.

Thank you.

A xx

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
CAn we add Sex as a Category. Not just because of a recent post on here on that topic, but because when I visited my 82-year old mum yesterday she declared that Michael, one of the care workers, fancied her her, and said she wasn't interested in sex and men any more. I did tell her that Michael is 27, and she agreed that he was a bit too young. But this is the first time in my life that my mother has ever even mentioned the word sex. So if it is rearing its head in her life, it is bound to be in others.

Regards

Margare

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Yes, sex is just another part of life that becomes muddled around people with dementia, and innocent happenings can also be interpreted wrongly by others. When Dad first went into his Care Home, where all the doors were left open, he wandered one night and was found trying to get into bed with one of the women residents.

I believe that Dad was just confused and thought he was getting into bed with Mum at home, although I don't know what the woman's relatives were told, nor what they thought. It reminded me of the Victor Meldrew sketch where he gets into bed with a 90-year-old woman and tells Margaret "I thought it was you", but sadly it wasn't so funny at the time.

P.S. Well done Said and team for producing the A - Z!
Margaret - have you seen the factsheet: http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/514

Last edited:

Just thinking

May 7, 2008
North west
All wonderful, but can we have an A-Z on how to find out way around this site. I am still searching for replied to a post I thought I submitted about a fortnight ago, but all I get is posts from people who started off 2-3 years ago, and can't find anything in response to mine at all.

I have new queries I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on, but simply don't know where to put them, or where I might find the answers.

I don't like to be critical, but I find this site pretty unusable. Is it me?

Margaret
I agree with you Margaret - it's NOT you! It's a terrible web site for (as you said) finding the answers to your questions. Good luck with the 'search' as I'll probably never 'find' you again.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Margaret

To find your Threads and posts, click on your name anywhere on the Forum or at the bottom of the main Front Page.

This will take you to your Profile which will enable you to find all your posts and threads.

From this you will be able to see if anyone has replied to you.
I hope this helps you.

Love xx

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
I agree with you Margaret - it's NOT you! It's a terrible web site for (as you said) finding the answers to your questions. Good luck with the 'search' as I'll probably never 'find' you again.

Hi Just Thinking,

Just to clarify, are you talking about problems finding your way around this forum (Talking Point)?

If Sylvia's fine reply does not help guide you please please post any questions under the 'Computer tips and how to use the discussion board' section.

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=32

All the moderators are here to help and have a lot of experience to guide you around the forum and its feature. It is a powerful forum tool so some features can be a little daunting to a newbie.

We are all here to help, so please ask any specific questions and we will do our best to guide you.

Kind Regards
Craig