Pressure sores!

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi all

My father is in a care home with dementia. He can no longer walk and is in a wheelchair.

Today I had a call from the care home saying he is confined to bed because he has a pressure sore. I have recently made a complaint to the care home because he was left alone in his room to feed himself and I found him playing with his food and found it really upsetting. Now I’m even more worried that he has a pressure sore. I don’t think they move him around very often and that’s probably why he got the pressure sore. Should I be worried?

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi.Your dad should not be left alone in his bedroom to eat.He could be at risk of choking if he has swallowing difficulties.What they should be doing is hoisting him out for meals into the dining room for an hour and then back into bed.Same for teatime.The hoisting is classed as repositioning because he is being moved.If not it could be that they are waiting for an assessment for a sling for the hoist.Each person should have their own.A person with pressure sores is repositioned regularly under the supervision of district nurses.So it could be 2hourly at daytime or 4hourly at night.It should say in his care plan.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Pressure sores can get out of hand very quickly if not cared for.

Ask if the home have called in the TV (tissue viability) nurse and if not, why not?

The care plan should stipulate how often he has to be repositioned and what, if any, support is needed.

I would expect them to be taking dated images of the sore.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi.Your dad should not be left alone in his bedroom to eat.He could be at risk of choking if he has swallowing difficulties.What they should be doing is hoisting him out for meals into the dining room for an hour and then back into bed.Same for teatime.The hoisting is classed as repositioning because he is being moved.If not it could be that they are waiting for an assessment for a sling for the hoist.Each person should have their own.A person with pressure sores is repositioned regularly under the supervision of district nurses.So it could be 2hourly at daytime or 4hourly at night.It should say in his care plan.

Hi thanks for getting back to me.

Dad has been in the care home for 3.5 years so has had all the necessary assessments. I am worried he got the pressure sores because they have been neglecting to move him to alternative chairs and positions throughout the day. I have been there for several hours at a time and he hasn’t been moved. I didn’t realise he could get pressure sores if he wasn’t regularly moved otherwise I would have said something. I was just wondering if pressure sores were common or if they were caused through neglect.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
They are preventable through regular repositioning.Also making sure that he has regular continence care.Also the correct pads.Even tilting someone onto their side is repositioning.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Maybe he should also be on a pressure (air flow) mattress which continually ripples to change the pressure points.
I repeat get the TV nurse involved to do an assessment.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Pressure sores are very serious and absolutely unacceptable. If he's confined to his bed he will need to be turned every two hours.

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
Mom got a pressure sore on her heel while she was in hospital in February, it took till the end of July to heal itself, there is now an enquiry of how why she got this sore, and we have to have monthly visits from the district nurse to make sure she has not got any more. We have a hospital/ with airflow mattress bed at home now!!

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
They are preventable through regular repositioning.Also making sure that he has regular continence care.Also the correct pads.Even tilting someone onto their side is repositioning.
Hi

Thanks for the reply
My dad is double incontinent and I am not convinced he is changed as often as he should be. They always seem so busy and understaffed at the home although everyone is really nice I can’t help but wonder if he’s getting the best care. He doesn’t really communicate anymore so he’s not able to tell them when he needs changing. It’s so difficult to know what to do for the best.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Mom got a pressure sore on her heel while she was in hospital in February, it took till the end of July to heal itself, there is now an enquiry of how why she got this sore, and we have to have monthly visits from the district nurse to make sure she has not got any more. We have a hospital/ with airflow mattress bed at home now!!

I’m sorry to hear about your mum I hope she continues to improve. It’s really distressing when something like this happens and I feel responsible because it was me who had my dad sectioned. He was aggressive and difficult to deal with so didn’t feel I had any choice. I couldn’t possibly look after him. I have my mum at home with me and she also has dementia and is difficult to deal with. Hopefully my dad will recover from this latest set back soon. Thanks for your reply. X

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Pressure sores are very serious and absolutely unacceptable. If he's confined to his bed he will need to be turned every two hours.

My mum was visiting every dad but she’s now got dementia and has forgotten who he is. I feel like he’s going down hill now she’s not there every day keeping an eye on the carers.