LPA health and welfare

Conniecontance

Aug 2, 2019
Does health and welfare LPA have more power over LPA to stop them ie selling my dad's property so the rest of the family can put my poor dad in an home and the selling of his property then will pay for his care home cost. I'm my dad's carer and he lives with me and I don't want him to go into a dementia care home

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Conniecontance and welcome to Talking Point.

I think we need a bit more detail about what is happening. Who is "they" and why do they want to move your dad into a care home? Is he still with you, or is is he maybe in hospital or something?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Does health and welfare LPA have more power over LPA to stop them ie selling my dad's property so the rest of the family can put my poor dad in an home and the selling of his property then will pay for his care home cost. I'm my dad's carer and he lives with me and I don't want him to go into a dementia care home

Could you explain a bit further about the background to this so but forum members can give experienced answers?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hi @Conniecontance , I don’t have any useful knowledge or advice really as new to the whole dementia journey myself , others will be along soon with help and advice I’m sure . I wouldn’t of thought one trumps the other but surely as his carer you would be involved in the decision making as to a home or not , if he lives with you how will they take him without your agreement ? I do feel for you . Lots of great support on here and if you can read some threads you might find some answers . Hope you get it sorted . Best wishes .

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Connie, welcome to TP
No one can "put2 someone in a home against their wishes so if your father still has the capacity to object to the move they may find it difficult as the home will need to get a "Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding" order (DoLS) and to do that social services will need to get him assessed and show that his needs can only be met in a care home.
Social services are required to use the "least restrictive option" and a care home against someone's own or families wishes isn't something they normally do unless they have concerns about the carers (you in this case) have the ability to care for him correctly.
My wife is subject to a DoLS at the moment (with my consent) as I could no longer care for her at home, she had to be seen by a social worker and Independent Mental Capacity Advisor (IMCA) and a psychiatrist to confirm that although she wanted to go home he needs could only be met in a nursing home. We then had a "best interests meeting" and all agreed it was the only option, getting a DoLS isn't a simple process and you'll find a lot of homes won't take people against their wishes specially if they're mobile and might try and get out or physically able to resist their care.
K

Vicky3116

Aug 3, 2019
LPA for health and welfare are separate to LPA for property and finances. No one can be forced to go into care unless they lack the capacity to make that decision and the decision is in that persons best interest. If you are not in agreement you can express your concerns and ask for social services involvement so that a best interest meeting can be held to ensure the best outcome for the individual.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam badelow