DNR

MJH64

Jul 29, 2019
We have a DNR in place for a family member who has had two recent admissions for hypo delirium, on the last occassion she has begged us to let her die repeatedly. We thought we had lost her and called for an ambulance in sheer panic and distress and she is now in hospital. We are now wondering if we have inadvertently done the wrong thing and gone against the DNR, although there was no resus involved? Should we have just let nature take its course and keep her safe and comfortable instead? She has had 2 episodes of hypo delirium in 6 weeks, both culminating in a hospital stay followed by a rehabilitation stay...we are thinking that next time we just keep her safe and comfortable and be with her at home...is this the right thing to do?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Perhaps next time you could call the ambulance/paramedics but show them the DNR (if you have a copy) and ask that they don't take her to hospital but give/arrange for palliative care instead.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @MJH64 and welcome to DTP although I’m sorry that circumstances are so difficult for you.
I don’t think I would say you are going against the DNR if I remember correctly my husband would have been medically treated for things like infections (that didn’t require intravenous abs) and broken bones, it really as you say covers resuscitation.
If it happens again the suggestion of assessment by paramedics with your input seems a reasonable decision to make.
Wishing you strength at this difficult time, please remember we are here for help in the future

MJH64

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps next time you could call the ambulance/paramedics but show them the DNR (if you have a copy) and ask that they don't take her to hospital but give/arrange for palliative care instead.
Thank you that is really helpful!

MJH64

Jul 29, 2019
Hello @MJH64 and welcome to DTP although I’m sorry that circumstances are so difficult for you.
I don’t think I would say you are going against the DNR if I remember correctly my husband would have been medically treated for things like infections (that didn’t require intravenous abs) and broken bones, it really as you say covers resuscitation.
If it happens again the suggestion of assessment by paramedics with your input seems a reasonable decision to make.
Wishing you strength at this difficult time, please remember we are here for help in the future
Many thanks, that is really helpful!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
A DNR does not stop treatment. It should prevent resuscitation if the heart stops.

Vicky3116

Aug 3, 2019
DNACPR means do not resuscitate when heart has stopped. You need to establish if your family member still wishes to have treatment eg, hospital admissions. This can be discussed with GP and a advance care plan can be put in place. It may be that the family member wants to have antibiotics to treat infection at home but doesn't want hospital admission for any treatment to prolong life. The DNACPR will only come into play when the heart has stopped.