First stage of going into care

Miss Marple

May 10, 2018
Hi all, well we have finally taken the plunge and will be having mum assessed tomorrow for the care home. I'm totally out of my depth with all this kind of stuff and was wondering, as mum will be moving in quickly, does it matter that I haven't as yet told social services? I am planning to inform them once she is settled in the home. I'm overwhelmed with all that has happened, how quickly mum seems to be deteriorating and can only do one thing at a time. Mum is self funding at present but I don't want to make things any more harder than they are already, yet at the same time I need to process what is happening.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi all, well we have finally taken the plunge and will be having mum assessed tomorrow for the care home. I'm totally out of my depth with all this kind of stuff and was wondering, as mum will be moving in quickly, does it matter that I haven't as yet told social services? I am planning to inform them once she is settled in the home. I'm overwhelmed with all that has happened, how quickly mum seems to be deteriorating and can only do one thing at a time. Mum is self funding at present but I don't want to make things any more harder than they are already, yet at the same time I need to process what is happening.

When my mother-in-law went into care, she was self funding and I never told social services. She had never had any input anyway from social services throughout her care. The care home assessed her and they never asked whether social services were even involved. I found that self funders were of no interest to social services whatsoever

Miss Marple

May 10, 2018
The GP and nurse said this is what I should do even though they knew she was self funding. Well at least I know from your kind response that I don't have to rush into it. However, funds only last so long and who knows how long she has left so I will put her on their radar but at least it isn't something that needs to be done immediately, thank goodness. Thank you.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I did not tell social services that my wife was moving into care as - despite 2 assessments - they had shown no interest in her care package as she was self-funding. However, as @Sarahdun has said because it was deemed necessary to apply for a DoLS order the care home got in touch with a best interests assessor (from social services) to arrange this. I have had one telephone conversation with the assessor and received the DoLS paperwork. Other than that, social services have shown no further interest. Some way down the line, when her funds deplete, I will need to get a financial assessment done and social services will probably get more involved at that point.

You don't need to inform social services at this stage and I can't see any benefit in doing so.

Miss Marple

May 10, 2018
You don't have to tell Social Services until your mother's funds are close to running out. If she needs a DOLS (deprivation of liberty safeguarding) the care home will contact a social worker to organise this. They will then contact you (or whoever is next of kin or has POA)

It may be that your GP and nurse know something that we don't know but I would work with the care home and they will tell you what you need (or do not need) to do.
Thank you for the reply and advice this is much appre
I did not tell social services that my wife was moving into care as - despite 2 assessments - they had shown no interest in her care package as she was self-funding. However, as @Sarahdun has said because it was deemed necessary to apply for a DoLS order the care home got in touch with a best interests assessor (from social services) to arrange this. I have had one telephone conversation with the assessor and received the DoLS paperwork. Other than that, social services have shown no further interest. Some way down the line, when her funds deplete, I will need to get a financial assessment done and social services will probably get more involved at that point.

You don't need to inform social services at this stage and I can't see any benefit in doing so.
Thank you this is helping lots and putting my mind at ease.

Miss Marple

May 10, 2018
You don't have to tell Social Services until your mother's funds are close to running out. If she needs a DOLS (deprivation of liberty safeguarding) the care home will contact a social worker to organise this. They will then contact you (or whoever is next of kin or has POA)

It may be that your GP and nurse know something that we don't know but I would work with the care home and they will tell you what you need (or do not need) to do.
I didn't realise the care home would be involved like this. I still have so many questions to ask and find out so really appreciate you taking the time to reply with this info.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother moved to a care home 18 months ago and I didn't inform SS either, for the same reasons as @northumbrian_k
SS had previously seen my mother twice but I didn't see them for dust when they found out she was self funding.

I have had contact with SS in the past year because she had a couple of falls (broke her hip) so the CH had to inform SS Safeguarding. They rang and we had a chat to ensure I didn't have any concerns about the care being provided, and that was that. So, I wouldn't bother to tell them, I doubt they will be interested until they have to actually 'do' something like a DoLS.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I was advised by my dad's social worker that it's worth going thru SS as they can negotiate a lower rate in the carehome.
It's not necessary but it saved dad £50 a week.

I'm not sure if this is true in all areas.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
I was advised by my dad's social worker that it's worth going thru SS as they can negotiate a lower rate in the carehome.
It's not necessary but it saved dad £50 a week.

I'm not sure if this is true in all areas.

I wonder why SS would be interested in negotiating rates for a self-funder?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I wonder why SS would be interested in negotiating rates for a self-funder?

I have no idea. Dad benefited from the 12 week property disregard as he don't have a lot of savings - only just under higher threshold though. This was the advice his social worker gave me. Mind you she also told me - Unofficially - to get any repairs to the house done to make sure his savings were under the higher limit when the assessment was done.

There was still a possibility that he would be going home at this point or I don't suppose we could've done that.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
During the 12 week disregard the LA pays (or part pays) the CH fees, in which case I can see why they would be interested in negotiating rates. But in other circumstances, I doubt they would. My mother's funding all came from savings, no property to sell, so the LA were not involved at all.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
During the 12 week disregard the LA pays (or part pays) the CH fees, in which case I can see why they would be interested in negotiating rates. But in other circumstances, I doubt they would. My mother's funding all came from savings, no property to sell, so the LA were not involved at all.

The manager of one of the carehomes I visited also gave me the same advice - to get SS to place dad as it would be cheaper even if he had to pay. At this point I thought he would be self funding to start with. Maybe it was because he was close to the line. I just assumed it was the same for anyone if they used SS to get a place.