Lewy body dementia

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Sleep can be a particular problem in people with LBD.

The Society Factsheet advises as follows

"Sleep disturbance

Steps can be taken to help a person with DLB have more restful nights. Increasing physical exercise, having a regular bedtime and getting-up time, and reducing daytime napping can all help. It can also help to avoid alcohol, caffeine and nicotine close to bedtime, and to keep the bedroom quiet and at a comfortable temperature.
Practical steps can be taken to make the area around the bed safe – remove sharp objects and put a mattress alongside the bed in case the person falls or jumps out.
Carers should also talk to the GP about sleep problems. Drugs such as clonazepam or melatonin can be effective treatments."

The GP would be my first port of call. I hope that's of some help.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Asking the GP for assistance is a good start.

This is the second time you have asked for help, the first time was during the last heatwave.
Many people are having trouble sleeping in the heat, you are probably more easily disturbed.
Did the problem lessen during the cooler weather?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have read of people with Lewy Body Dementia having nightmares. They seem more common than for other forms of dementia. Hot chocolate was recommended at one time for a bed time drink. It`s worth a try even in this weather.

Honeykins

Jun 8, 2019
My husband started with REM Sleep Behaviour Disorder about 6/7 years ago and it steadily got worse. 2 years ago he was diagnosed with Parkinson’s and put on Clonazepam to deal with the sleep issues/acting out his dreams (hitting/kicking/scratching me etc) and it worked brilliantly. However he’s recently had the diagnosis changed to LBD and his new consultant has taken him off the Clonazepam as apparently they now know it can cause even more problems. Our next step is Melatonin. Sorry I can’t remember the exact issues with Clonazepam but I do know it wasn’t good so if given a choice I’d go with the Melatonin.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbonetti