Correct Procedure At Funeral

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
I have recently lost MOH, and his funeral is next week. I would like to know if anyone has any idea of the order of relatives following the coffin. I would like to have my grandchildren with me, followed by my children, is that acceptable ? Is there any order of the three children i.e. eldest first etc.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss.

As far as I am aware (but bear in mind I am Church of Scotland) there is no set protocol. I think it is up to the family to make that kind of decision. I’m sure the funeral director will keep you right though. I lost my husband 3 years ago next week and I know the funeral director was a tower of strength during the time leading up to and during the funeral.

At all funerals I have attended the first few rows at the church (or wherever the funeral will be held) is reserved for the family.

Wishing you strength.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
My condolences on your loss, I agree with @Izzy im sure there is no set protocol so yes talk to the funeral director it’s their job to ensure the day goes as you want it to..

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think you should do what suits you, what you would like to do. I am sure that no one will judge you and your family at such an important occasion if you choose to do things your way.

I hope that the service is all that you want it to be.

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you everyone.

Yes we 'did it my way', and it all went to plan thankfully. Now it's just getting used to being alone for good, and what to do with myself. I have volunteered at my local RSPCA shop, so I'm hoping I can be of use to them. I find I'm still talking aloud to MOH, not that I imagine him to be there, but just as I would have done before. Does anyone else do that ?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im glad the funeral went well @Bree

Its often afterwards that everything hits you, but it sounds like you have some things in place
((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thank you everyone.

Yes we 'did it my way', and it all went to plan thankfully. Now it's just getting used to being alone for good, and what to do with myself. I have volunteered at my local RSPCA shop, so I'm hoping I can be of use to them. I find I'm still talking aloud to MOH, not that I imagine him to be there, but just as I would have done before. Does anyone else do that ?

I am glad that the funeral went to plan.
I lost my partner 10 years ago (not Alzheimer’s) and I still talk aloud to him occasionally, even though I am now in a new relationship. Obviously I don’t do it in front of my new partner. Everyone copes differently with grief so just do what feels right for you

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Three years after the loss of my husband I talk to him. There will be a “ where are you when I need you” conversation, a “ bet you didn’t think I could do that, I hope you are proud of me”. There are many times, I think it’s only natural. We were married for 50 years and he is with me wherever I am.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m glad everything went well @Bree.

Bill’s funeral was three years ago this Thursday. I still go round the house speaking to his photos - I’ve even been known to speak to his chair!!

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I go to where his ashes are scattered, and we often have a long conversation!
There’s not many people I can say that to without them thinking I’m start staring!

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Thank you for your replies, thank goodness I'm not alone.

I'm at the ' you can't just go and leave me like this' stage, we were a close unit, we never joined clubs etc, just did our own thing. Of course we argued, doesn't everyone. I knew his death was near, but when it actually happened it cut very deeply. I suppose in time, things may look brighter, but right now, I'm lost without him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC