Ideas, please. How to stop Dad letting the dog out or going out to find the dog when he's on his own

helsingborg55

Jun 2, 2018
My father and I live together, and I am with him most of the time. He has shown no tendency to wander. However, if I am out, he sometimes lets the dog out (which isn't necessary) and then goes to find the dog who sometimes ends up in the wilderness which is next door's garden. My father walks with a stick indoors. He is not sufficiently stable on his feet to walk out of doors unaccompanied, even with is stick. We are concerned about my father having a fall, perhaps in next door's garden, and with the dog getting injured, attacked or lost.

We fixed large A4 notices on the front door, but he seems to disregard these.

I was wondering about installing a loud 'garage' alarm that goes off when the door is opened unless a key code is entered. Has anyone tried this? If so, does it work? Does anyone have any other suggestions, please?

Very many thanks!

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If "most of the time" does not work, try "all of the time". Having someone with your Dad (not necessarily you) will probably be the only fool-proof method. Signs will be ignored, and door alarms most probably will be too. Plus, how would you feel if your door shrieked loudly at you when you open it, and you can't make it stop because you've forgotten the code? And if you remember it, what keeps you from leaving the property after stopping the alarm?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
How are you envisaging the alarm would work? If your father is alone and opens the door, the alarm will sound. He will have no idea why this is happening and it will scare him. He will not stay in the house while that alarm is sounding, he's likely to try to get away from the sound. Who will turn off the alarm, if you aren't there?

Does he let the dog out of the back door? If so, you could lock it and remove the key. We did this to stop my mother letting her cat out and then going to look for him, she could still get out of the front door in an emergency so could get out in the event of (e.g.) a fire, but she didn't let the cat out at the front.

You can get a monitor on the door to alert you that he is leaving the house, e.g. via a Linkline system, but any monitoring systems will require you (or someonelse) to be nearby so you can go to the person's aid - you can't rely on the monitor just stopping the behaviour.

Any of these type of measures tend to only work short term as no sooner do you solve one problem than another arises. It is likely your father will need supervision 24/7.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My father and I live together, and I am with him most of the time. He has shown no tendency to wander. However, if I am out, he sometimes lets the dog out (which isn't necessary) and then goes to find the dog who sometimes ends up in the wilderness which is next door's garden. My father walks with a stick indoors. He is not sufficiently stable on his feet to walk out of doors unaccompanied, even with is stick. We are concerned about my father having a fall, perhaps in next door's garden, and with the dog getting injured, attacked or lost.

We fixed large A4 notices on the front door, but he seems to disregard these.

I was wondering about installing a loud 'garage' alarm that goes off when the door is opened unless a key code is entered. Has anyone tried this? If so, does it work? Does anyone have any other suggestions, please?

Very many thanks!
My mother-in-law was often trying to go out and confront the neighbours about some perceived sleight. She had poor mobility as well and she ignored signs and notes. We had the carers to try and distract her but it didn't work. Eventually she went into care

helsingborg55

Jun 2, 2018
Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. I take on board the comments about issues with an alarm. I have enquired about adding a sensor to Dad's existing Careline package to detect when someone leaves the property. I'm considering whether Dad might need someone in attendance whenever I am out.

Last edited: