New to the forum. Our journey so far

BettyB

Jul 25, 2019
We've had a roller coaster ride since mums recent diagnosis. A horrendous time with delusions, hallucinations, anxiety and anger. She had a spell of such rapid deterioration in such a short time, we wondered how we could safely keep her at home (the place she no longer recognised as home). All of this happened just around the time of her diagnosis. We had seen some signs over time but there were other health issues we had to prioritise. Then a sudden change and deterioration. Thankfully the Consultant prescribed donepezil and respiridone. We cannot believe the difference. Of course, before we saw the Consultant we ruled out the usual things.... Urine infection being the first thought. The change since being on these tablets has been incredible. We have some of our 'real' mum back. That sound awful, but during that 3 weeks she was a person we didn't know. Everything was out of character and she wasn't 'with us'. She was in a different world. Now she is able to find some purpose and iniitiate things herself. She can concentrate a bit and she is smiling and laughing again. I'm not saying it's a miracle cure, but she's more her old self and she's 'with us' again. We are so thankful and know that things can change at the drop of a hat, but just wanted to share that there is hope. Everyone's experience of dementia is different but from being at the lowest point, it is possible to be hopeful and positive again. Hang on in there. And always rule out infections and constipation if there is a big change in your loved one. I don't think we can underestimate the effect these can have. So glad to have mum back for however long. The thing we have learned so far is just to take it one day at a time. Even within a day, things can change so quickly.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to DTP @BettyB
I’m glad you’ve found the right balance of medication for your Mum. Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @BettyB and welcome from me too.

Thanks for sharing your experience. As you say everyone is different but it's heartening to read of your positive experience. My husband also responded to medication for a long time. We have to be grateful for small mercies.

BettyB

Jul 25, 2019
Hello @BettyB and welcome from me too.

Thanks for sharing your experience. As you say everyone is different but it's heartening to read of your positive experience. My husband also responded to medication for a long time. We have to be grateful for small mercies.
Good to hear. I hadn't realised that medication could be so effective. Let's hope it continues x

BettyB

Jul 25, 2019
Welcome to DTP @BettyB
I’m glad you’ve found the right balance of medication for your Mum. Please keep posting as you’ll get lots of support here.
Thanks. I will. Its good to talk and share experiences. No one person is the same but it helps to know others are going through similar things and to hear how other people try to mange and cope.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Welcome to DTP @BettyB .

My husband was prescribed Aricept at the beginning and respiridone a little later. I truly believed that the medication allowed him to function very well for 4 years. It certainly slowed down the decline and though life was not the same as pre dementia it was manageable, sadly medication does not help everyone. Taking it a day at a time is the way to go.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
Yep another one here who is thankful for prescribed medication. My OH was beginning to get anxious and very, very determined about certain things he 'had' to do. Resperidone was my lifesaver. Within 2 days he was back to his old self and still is kind & sweet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa