Council Tax Exemption

Caligirl

Dec 19, 2018
I have completed the Council Tax Exemption form for my father as he lives alone and I have a deputyship for him due to his failing the mental capacity test.
Part of the form had to be completed by Dr eg confirming the diagnosis. The Dr has now completed the form but the surgery are saying that as not a Government form there is a £10 charge. I am a little confused as my understanding is that Council tax and local councils are government. Am I correct or are the surgery right?

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Our GP’s receptionist tried to charge us for our second form after the first one went astray, but I said that I didn’t know there was a charge, so they dropped it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
So after posting this I found the answer on the BMA website.
https://www.bma.org.uk/advice/employment/fees/certificates-no-charge
You have answered your own question, GP's can't make a charge, assuming you're in England then the standard NHS/GP contract forbids charging for certain things and signing this certificate is one of them. Sorry I can't post a link to the contract but it is an exempt charge.
I'd take the issue up with the practice manager and say that in the first case the BMA say the doctor can't make a charge and in the second case their if they do the practice will be in breach of their NHS contract, that should focus the mind of both the doctor and the practice manager.
That said and it's happened on here more than once that a GP won't sign the form which requires them to diagnose a "Severe Mental Impairment" which is the legal requirement, as a "General" P then they can refuse if they feel they're not qualified to define the difference between moderate, moderate to severe and full on severe and the legal requirement is that it is a "severe" impairment.
If the GP is happy to sign as an SMI then they cannot charge, refer your doctor to the link you put up from the BMA and refer the practice manager to their NHS (England) contract both say no charge can be made for signing.
I'll try and find a link to the NHS (England) contract that all surgeries work to if I can so the manager can see that they're in the wrong too.
K

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I was charged and the irony wasn't lost on me that I was getting charged by a GP for something to help save us money,I did mention the charge later but was fobbed off and I didn't pursue it as I didn't want to upset the practice