And so it goes on...

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad keeps shutting windows everytime he gets the chance. I keep opening them. He also keeps asking me if I am cold.

It was the same last year and the year before I think.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
He sleeps naked though. Probably too much information but he hangs his socks and pants on his bookcase giving me the chance of swapping them every couple of days for clean ones.

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Is anyone else trying to stop their PWD from wrapping up in bed as if it is still winter during the hot weather? This happened during the heatwave last summer and he is worse this year and I am dreading the rest of the week as he wraps up in duvet, neck blanket and dressing gown and no window open. He sweats badly and gets dehydrated as a result but I cannot stop him.
Ah yes, the unfortunately not so rare dementia caterpillar (I have one here) wrapping and double wrapping itself as it tries to pupate - sadly no beautiful butterfly or shimmering moth from this one....... I only wish there was....

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Ah yes, the unfortunately not so rare dementia caterpillar (I have one here) wrapping and double wrapping itself as it tries to pupate - sadly no beautiful butterfly or shimmering moth from this one....... I only wish there was....
This made me laugh, it’s so true here too, an excellent description of the problem!! Open windows are a huge worry for him as well @Duggies-girl but at least I have got a fan. Squeezed a shower in yesterday as well when he was getting up late and before I went out for lunch because I got my cleaning lady to come extra. Had a lovely garden visit with old Open University friends organised from time to time which I couldn’t go to last time. As he gets worse and house bound it’s easier to get out with a bit of organising, and he is used to her. Ominous sign yesterday when he said that he wasn’t sure he could get up the stairs. Since all he does all evening is go up and down, several times, that really would be bad. It’s inevitable eventually because he is wasting away.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Cannot help with the bed wrapping but they do not seem to be affected by the heat. My conservatory is like an oven blasting heat into the house. I locked it up yesterday, hid key and drew the curtains across to keep sun out. While I was on phone OH found key, opened curtains and conservatory door. Still it kept him occupied while I had a chat with an old friend.

He seems to be getting very adapt at finding my convenient hiding places for keys. Need to go on the big A and get one of those big key belts housekeepers used to have.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Same here, sleeping for England, no much appetite so back to fortifying food and drinks. He is on thickeners so hydration is an issue. I have opened the windows to get an air flow to freshen the air.
Fans are on to move the air, even if warm it is more pleasant. I will set the oil diffuser soon.
During the heat I have wet flannels in fridge, my daughter's suggestion.
I noticed a bad bruise on his arm, the skin is so thin. He is coughing a lot too.
It is almost lunch so he missed breakfast, that is a third of food intake, so I will try and catch up. Quite a challenge isn't it.
How good it would be is a nurse could call for my peace of mind.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Cannot help with the bed wrapping but they do not seem to be affected by the heat. My conservatory is like an oven blasting heat into the house. I locked it up yesterday, hid key and drew the curtains across to keep sun out. While I was on phone OH found key, opened curtains and conservatory door. Still it kept him occupied while I had a chat with an old friend.

He seems to be getting very adapt at finding my convenient hiding places for keys. Need to go on the big A and get one of those big key belts housekeepers used to have.
Or warders :):):):)

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
This d....d disease. I have managed to get a couple of weeks respite stay at the same place that he went to in May. How he will be then I dread to think because like you @AliceA not up yet, not eating properly, difficult to get the meals in and fluids too. It’s almost impossible to plan too far ahead, you have to be flexible enough to change course almost week to week. I have closed the windows because it’s hotter outside than in, and have the fan on. I think a bowl of ice under the fan will be good when fit gets even hotter.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
It is weird, my hubby is hot he is sweating. But I get busy doing something....and come back and he has gotten into the closet and put on a down vest or heavy jacket.
But he is says he is not cold, but he just wants to put it on.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Weight can be a comfort. I suggested some cool clothes. I then found a whole pile of mixed up. I suggested an outfit but he came out with something else.
Just trying to get him in the coolest room, and thing that sounds like a demand is counter productive. The
This d....d disease. I have managed to get a couple of weeks respite stay at the same place that he went to in May. How he will be then I dread to think because like you @AliceA not up yet, not eating properly, difficult to get the meals in and fluids too. It’s almost impossible to plan too far ahead, you have to be flexible enough to change course almost week to week. I have closed the windows because it’s hotter outside than in, and have the fan on. I think a bowl of ice under the fan will be good when fit gets even hotter.

Sometimes hour by hour, minute by minute. Ice is a good idea, it is 2.30 ate a meal but not shaved yet. So a coffee and I must do the eye drops.
There was an item about care on You and Yours, 5,000 are applying every day for a carehome place. I could not hear it all but must find the pod cast. People wonder why I have no time to water the beloved tomatoes he insisted on having!

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Dear @Guzelle I think you should find s care home somewhere and book him in for a weekend and just don’t tell him anything - Just take him there and say you have a medical appointment and will be back ASAP in a few days - I did it once and worked as he was looked after - I have treasured my few days off !
And everyone please hope there is a time after this when hopefully we won’t miss them so much we will stuff up what’s left to enjoy !!
I’m up for a good pilgrims walk In a few years time if anyone is willing and able !! Keep hopes up - love MJ xx

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
And I should say every day has its own weirdness !! Today my husband wanted reassurance that we had enough dog food ! We have a very fat whippet / 3 ! No 4 times he asked - I lost it - got all the dog food out and showed him - “but can’t we just be friends?” He said in retaliation o_O

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
Yes I think he is ready for the care home. I will be speaking to social services soon regarding respite. He is getting frail and sleeps such a lot now! The last holiday in April was just a weekend but I had to do everything for him and then get shouted at if he thought he had lost something which he hadn’t! I came back shattered not refreshed.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I hope that you get respite soon. I have been delayed because there is a debate whether I need short term Dept. or the long term Dept. I have been told I should get it but it is 'complicated'. May I suggested that you point out the problem is ongoing. Good luck.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I felt very tired yesterday morning so didn’t go out as usual and then it was far too hot at 32C. I didn’t get out at all and didn’t feel at all well all day dealing with a disordered person so this morning I was determined to get my exercise. I decided to walk a bit further, and get the bus back and felt so much better for it, especially because today is going to be even hotter. I am lucky that I can leave him because he is always in bed until quite late, it’s the rest of the day that is awful, trying to get him to eat and drink, dealing with sundowning which starts earlier and earlier. One bright spot is a little 6 year old boy neighbour who has taken to popping in after school and watching Pointless with us. He doesn’t have a TV just a laptop and internet, if anything, so I can see the attraction. As a result he had never used a remote but he picked it up and was able to operate it very quickly which my husband is quite unable to do. He treats us both the same and is pretty much on the same wavelength as my husband! At that age, he has no idea about the disease so is very disarming. Our grandchildren are much older and more aware as well as more interested in other things. They are very sweet with him but find normal conversation impossible, which a 6 year old doesn’t care about.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Yes, the very young seem to have no negative judgement, I cringe when my husband is spoken to is a wheedling voice. Is wheedling a word? Looks odd.
Mine has a tummy upset, so I was up a lot in the night. Thankful for washing machine!
A walk and bus back sounds good, we have no bus now but it always provided chat and banter.
I am sure the six year old will benefit too.

Just going to post on Divorce.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
Yes, the very young seem to have no negative judgement, I cringe when my husband is spoken to is a wheedling voice. Is wheedling a word? Looks odd.
Mine has a tummy upset, so I was up a lot in the night. Thankful for washing machine!
A walk and bus back sounds good, we have no bus now but it always provided chat and banter.
I am sure the six year old will benefit too.

Just going to post on Divorce.
That’s what I thought too, about negative judgment, he just doesn’t have any of that, and he likes having a glass of cordial in one of my grandmother’s little glasses. It’s my husband who speaks in a wheedling voice, yes I think it is a word, and I dislike it so much. Intrigued about the divorce quote. I know that you are isolated in the village where you live and that must be hard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep