My dad has recently been diagnosed

Ghislaine

Jul 22, 2019
My dad has been diagnosed recently, still undergoing further tests etc, I’m terrified. He won’t talk about it, he’s not eating and is too exhausted to leave the house... this is a world away from the man he was just three weeks ago.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Ghislaine and welcome to the forums.

Most people who have dementia dont want to talk about it - many of them are unable to comprehend the diagnosis and unfortunately you wont be able to get them to acknowledge it.

If there has been a sudden downturn, though, it might indicate an infection (which causes havoc with dementia), so it might be a good idea to get him to your GP for a check.

Ghislaine

Jul 22, 2019
Hello @Ghislaine and welcome to the forums.

Most people who have dementia dont want to talk about it - many of them are unable to comprehend the diagnosis and unfortunately you wont be able to get them to acknowledge it.

If there has been a sudden downturn, though, it might indicate an infection (which causes havoc with dementia), so it might be a good idea to get him to your GP for a check.
Thank you for taking the time to respond, I never thought of that. I’ll take him to the GP, thank you