Music and Dementia

honeybears

Oct 18, 2014
Hampshire
I just wanted to share with everyone something that I experienced last week when visiting my Dad at the care home where he lives.

It was music afternoon and there was a guy singing karaoke - all the old songs that the age group present would appreciate and know.

I sat on the floor by Dad and spent the most enjoyable and moving hour that I have spent with my Dad in a long time.

Although he had his eyes closed most of the whole time, he was singing along to all of the songs (whether he knew the words or not) at the end of each song would clap and say to me something like 'I knew that one'

Looking around the room, some residents were dancing in their own little world, others were singing along but the smiles on their faces said it all - even the staff present were joining in and you could see how much everyone was enjoying themselves - one lady when a certain song came on started crying - clearly the words of the song meant something to her

For that short space of time, in that room, nothing else in the world mattered but the enjoyment the music and singing brought to them all - I came away having had the best time and had tears in my eyes all the way home

It is a memory I will treasure

xx

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
We go to a music memories event every month and listening to one lady singing note perfect the ones she remembered from musical theatre is wonderful. C just sings the ones she likes and flirts with the singer every time.
How lovely for you Honeybears, I hoe there's more chances to enjoy those moments with your dad.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's very special @honeybears.

My husband came to our dementia choir until the week before he died. He loved it. I'm a volunteer in the choir now and it's heartwarming to see how the spirits are lifted at our weekly sessions.

Chalkie

Jan 19, 2018
I so agree that music has a terrific effect on people with dementia. I have mixed dementia, though in the early stages, and find that music is really calming and comforting. However, I wish to make a comment. Musicians who visit day centres and care homes seem to think that everyone wants old pop music but I'm sure there are many, like me, who who much prefer some popular classics, light jazz, reflective orchestral music and so on. An afternoon of pop music would, for me, be torture, though if balanced with my suggestions would be enjoyable. Also, I think it's wrong to assume one particular age group. I'm in my 60s and would struggle with an afternoon devoted to wartime songs.I hope that makes sense.