My nanna & Alzheimers

Jodie91

Jul 19, 2019
Hi.

I'm new here

My nanna was diagnosed with Alzheimers on Tuesday, so it been less than a week. We don't know how long she may of had alzheimers, or what stage she is at.
Over the last six month, she was very forgetful, became unsteady on her legs and had mood swings.. But she always seemed to be herself still and that is why we didn't think it may all be signs of Alzheimer’s.
She lives alone in a 3 bedroom house, and as a family we tried to get her moved into a smaller property closer to us, and it was at that point 3 month ago that social workers and people from a mental health team became involved, with assessments being done along with other things. Then came the diagnosis.
Within a week life has changed as you all will know, and it is so so hard to witness the person you love so much change every minute of the day
There is no meaninful conversation anymore, just the kind were we have to go along with what she is telling us. She seems to recognise our faces, yet doesn't know who we are and speaks to us about us, as if she hasnt lived life with us at all. She lives at home still, yet she's adamant we have taken her home away from home and moved her into a school, she's packing everything into bags and wanting to leave through the night. She's turning taps on and leaving doors wide open. She's having accidents, and tries to hide soiled clothes around the house. My nanna has always been quite a reserved woman, very kind hearted and caring, very well spoken and well dressed. But now she's lost the caring nature, and doesn't take pride in her appearance anymore.
There is people putting door sensors in today aswell as flood sensors, gas sensors and smoke sensors. There is talk that she may be referred urgently into residential care.

Could anyone please give advice how is best to deal with the symptoms and behaviour she is showing

This woman is my nanna, but she is more like a mother to me, as from the day I was born she brought me up and made me into the person I am today.

Thankyou so much for reading.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Jodie91 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

Im so sorry to hear about your nanna. It is always a shock when you hear the diagnosis, even when you are expecting it.

Im afraid that all of the things that you describe are typical of mid-stage dementia. There isnt any way of stopping these symptoms, all you can do is cope with them, as it sounds like you are already doing. The gradual loss of the person is hard to see - you have to look so much closer to see that person who is still behind all these changes, but there will still be a look, a turn of phrase or a gesture that will show you that they are still there.

I dont know if you have come across Compassionate Communication, but if not Im giving a link.
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/thr...n-with-the-memory-impaired.30801/#post-413710

Do keep posting - we all know what it is like and we have all been there, so there is lots of support available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa