Still Paying Fees after Self-Funding has reached the cap of £23,250

DiArtful

Mar 5, 2019
My Father has been Self-Funding in a local Care Home (Lincoln) since March 2017. He has paid just over £100,00 and now his capital has gone below the threshold of £23,500. We have submitted a Financial Assessment at the end of March 2019 & my Father has been awarded NHS Nursing element of £165.56 per week. We have been told by our Social Worker that we still have to keep paying his monthly Fees (£3,400+) until the Transition period of Self-Funding to the Council paying has been sorted out. There is a 'Backlog' of these Financial Assessments.....who knows how long. Can someone please tell me is this correct that we keep paying? They have told us that my Father will be reimbursed further down the line....but unfortunately I have little Faith in these 'Privatised" Care Homes.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
It's common for social workers to give out information relating to finances despite this not being their area of knowledge.

If your father is no longer self funding then the local authority should be paying the care fees. It may be that they won't pay the full amount though, depending on their maximum rates. You won't know exactly how much your father will need to pay until the council financial assessment has been sorted. Do the care home know he is no longer self funding and will they accept the local authority rate or require a top up payment?

I had some similar issues (not exactly the same) with my mum. We paid her state pension to the home and advised the care home to liaise directly with the local authority regarding payment of the rest of the fees. I found that the council tends to pull its finger out when care companies rather than families are involved. I personally wouldn't start paying the fees as the council could take months to sort out the backlog. Let the care home know what's going on and leave them to sort out the payments directly with the council. (PS: the funded nursing care payment is nothing to do with the council financial assessment. They are completely seperate)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Note that whilst AA (Attendance Allowance) is payable when self funding this payment stops after 28 days of council assisted funding.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
There is a sliding scale of payments, which means you still pay, but a portion is paid by SS, as the savings level drops, SS payment increases. It’s a complicated calculation and I wouId suggest you keep them informed as the savings level drops

Theoretically once they have calculated the payment due and paid what is due, you should have a “credit” value, that you could then reduce the next few payments by, to use it up. I doubt you will get a rebate

Think of it like paying your gas or electric bill by monthly instalments, but overpaying, they just reduce your next payments when they read the metre

DiArtful

Mar 5, 2019
It's common for social workers to give out information relating to finances despite this not being their area of knowledge.

If your father is no longer self funding then the local authority should be paying the care fees. It may be that they won't pay the full amount though, depending on their maximum rates. You won't know exactly how much your father will need to pay until the council financial assessment has been sorted. Do the care home know he is no longer self funding and will they accept the local authority rate or require a top up payment?

I had some similar issues (not exactly the same) with my mum. We paid her state pension to the home and advised the care home to liaise directly with the local authority regarding payment of the rest of the fees. I found that the council tends to pull its finger out when care companies rather than families are involved. I personally wouldn't start paying the fees as the council could take months to sort out the backlog. Let the care home know what's going on and leave them to sort out the payments directly with the council. (PS: the funded nursing care payment is nothing to do with the council financial assessment. They are completely seperate)

DiArtful

Mar 5, 2019
Thank you for your Response. I have just spoken to a Solicitor from 'Care to be Different' and her response is that we still need to keep paying my Fathers Fees even though his capital is below £23,250. She assured me that we should be reimbursed + interest once the Financial Assessment has gone through. This I will surely get in writing! Thank You