Respite Care - Back on!

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Earlier this year we had organised respite care for our September break for the MIL who lives in an annex with us however the social worker called her and not us to talk about it and she completely threw her toys out the pram to the point that we decided to do separate holidays for my OH and I. Fast forward to now, she has deteriorated and I had a melt down at work and have had a complete rethink about stuff. So I have decided to reduce my hours and last night for the first time I met up with a local Carers for Carers group.. I knew the leader as we crossed paths before (in a good way!). I said we had to refuse the respite care because the MIL's hissy fit! and because of this we did not have any social worker or any contact with the memory services since. So on the advice of the other carers and the leader, we are going back for respite care. The leader under our local laws has the capacity to get us a social worker and she has told me we must take the respite care whether or not the MIL chucks her toys out the pram! So between the leader and I we have agreed a plan of action that she is going to get us a social worker, get her to speak to us first then assess the MIL (who lives with us). This will happen quite quickly as we have 2 weeks set aside for September - so to my surprise when I spoke to the OH about this he agreed - I think he needs the break too! I am back to work tomorrow after a weeks holiday at home, so will see if I still have a job with reduced hours or not! C'est la Vie as they say but cross your fingers all goes to plan!

nilyram27

Jul 21, 2019
That sounds like a really positive move forward! I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for you and you’re mum x