TIPPING POINT

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
When my Dad was taken into hospital by the paramedics they took my Mum with them as she had hurt her leg and there was no one to take care of her ....i live 3 and a half hours away. I got there quickly but they would not let my Mum out into my care as i didn't live close to her and she would be on her own. It had become a safeguarding issue. I was told to find a care home for which her i did. They followed it up and checked that a place for her had be taken up at the care home i had mentioned to the SW. I had no alternative.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Already feeling very low this week with the endless boredom and frustration of living with my OH and his constant problems....... but this morning, I got up, took his breakfast in to him ( as I do at weekends) and noticed the trousers he wore yesterday thrown on the floor... that should have warned me, but I chose to pretend otherwise.

Now I know different.....

HIs stoma bag, which he does not manage well, had leaked. Well, more than that. He had been to empty it after I had gone to bed ( I go about 10.30 he goes about 2.30) but he had not done the fastening up on it.

He sat in his chair for goodness knows how many hours dozing and 'watching' Bull's Eye on Challenge TV. He stood up, to go to the conservatory to look for hedgehogs outside in the garden. His bag leaked from the sitting room, through to the conservatory ( floor, radiator etc etc ) before he noticed it. Instead of calling for me, he continued on his merry way, through a couple of other rooms into his bedroom leaking faeces wherever he went......

Happy Days - oh and some of it was on the brand new sitting room rug I bought about 4 weeks ago......

He is now sat 'watching' The Wheel of Fortune' while I write to you !!!!

LizzieM

May 6, 2019
Already feeling very low this week with the endless boredom and frustration of living with my OH and his constant problems....... but this morning, I got up, took his breakfast in to him ( as I do at weekends) and noticed the trousers he wore yesterday thrown on the floor... that should have warned me, but I chose to pretend otherwise.

HIs stoma bag, which he does not manage well, had leaked. Well, more than that. He had been to empty it after I had gone to bed ( I go about 10.30 he goes about 2.30) but he had not done the fastening up on it.

He sat in his chair for goodness knows how many hours dozing and 'watching' Bull's Eye on Challenge TV. He stood up, to go to the conservatory to look for hedgehogs outside in the garden. His bag leaked from the sitting room, through to the conservatory ( floor, radiator etc etc ) before he noticed it. Instead of calling for me, he continued on his merry way, through a couple of other rooms into his bedroom leaking faeces wherever he went......

Happy Days - oh and some of it was on the brand new sitting room rug I bought about 4 weeks ago......

Oh heavens - I feel for you. No stoma bag here but double incontinence combined with indwelling catheter (open tap to empty....).
Big ((((hug)))) from here and sending virtual Floris Bluebell (no point saving for best) to cover the pong - I can only empathise on how you feel you can never get rid of the smell and why is it always on the nice new stuff???!!! Xx

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017

Oh gosh, you and me alike....it's not Friday 13 is it, see Incontinence thread, all I can say it's a good job it's not raining today, really do feel for you, I know I keep saying it....but it's the SMELL, no matter how many air fresheners I have put round the house I can't stick one up my nose, keep your chin up, hugs x

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh gosh, you and me alike....it's not Friday 13 is it, see Incontinence thread, all I can say it's a good job it's not raining today, really do feel for you, I know I keep saying it....but it's the SMELL, no matter how many air fresheners I have put round the house I can't stick one up my nose, keep your chin up, hugs x
To be brutally honest - the stuff that comes out of his stoma, stinks like nothing on earth........... I have candle melts burning in most rooms all the time, windows open when possible - I don't go into his bedroom more than I have too - it's all about damage limitation isn't it???? The carer recommended something called Dr Backmann's stain remover - it comes like the usual sprays, but has a brush at the top - she said it was really good, so put it on my next grocery order list - not expensive either at under £4 - we will see.......

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh heavens - I feel for you. No stoma bag here but double incontinence combined with indwelling catheter (open tap to empty....).
Big ((((hug)))) from here and sending virtual Floris Bluebell (no point saving for best) to cover the pong - I can only empathise on how you feel you can never get rid of the smell and why is it always on the nice new stuff???!!! Xx
Floris Bluebell - I will have to look out for that one too.....I don't get to the shops as we have no car, and live remotely. I shall have a look online - thanks for the tip !

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
...and today's tipping point is....

I have tried to explain to him that he lost his driving license because of the dementia making safety an issue - he does not understand..

My son has a bike shop and OH kept pestering him for a bike - which son conveniently kept forgetting about...... as one does in these cases...

this morning OH has seen a bike for sale in the local shop for just £60 - so he has bought it, my thoughts? How safe will that be, how safe is he on the road? But because he thinks he is 'fine' .... how do I get around this one, as one does not need a driving license for a bike ( unfortunately)?

Trekker

Jun 18, 2019
London
...and today's tipping point is....

I have tried to explain to him that he lost his driving license because of the dementia making safety an issue - he does not understand..

My son has a bike shop and OH kept pestering him for a bike - which son conveniently kept forgetting about...... as one does in these cases...

this morning OH has seen a bike for sale in the local shop for just £60 - so he has bought it, my thoughts? How safe will that be, how safe is he on the road? But because he thinks he is 'fine' .... how do I get around this one, as one does not need a driving license for a bike ( unfortunately)?
Hi @maryjoan When my husbands grandma had dementia she insisted on keeping driving. My in laws response, after persuasion failed, was to leave the car lights on ‘accidentally’ so the battery was always flat when she tried to drive. Could you do something similar with flat tyres? Or better still ( as he might still insist on riding a bike with flat tyres) suggest a bike lock with a code, and no one can remember the code, and yes, a man is coming to deal with it but is busy until the day after tomorrow? Love lies x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Oh, Mary, poor you! I cringe for you!
I use oil diffuser, I vary the oils some deem to cleanse the air as the steam scents the air. Mine dose not go out alone but I think the answer is the same, he sees a solution but not the consequences. Half logic.
I have carpet tiles down so I can lift and rinse. These blend in like a carpet when down.
Xxx

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
OK all !! Have a giggle!!!

OH has been keeping me awake with his coughing. I went to bed to catch a few zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's - not thinking we live in a bungalow - did not draw the curtains.....

I wake up puzzled by the noise on the TV get out of bed, to be confronted by the window cleaner at the window !!! He has as big a shock as I do, but fortunately I am wearing my underwear - which is clean and black - but I am no picture at my age..... oh heck.

Window cleaner then tells me OH has gone off with a bloke in a 4 x 4 to look at a bike that he knows nothing about, and should not be buying. and cannot cycle back from where he has gone..........

Trekker

Jun 18, 2019
London
Oh no @maryjoan Perhaps you should call the police? It sounds like your OH could be in trouble, now or soon. It also sounds like it has become impossible for you to keep him safe and your own health is suffering. I don’t know if social services are involved, but for your sake and his perhaps they should be. Hope he comes back soon x

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Oh no @maryjoan Perhaps you should call the police? It sounds like your OH could be in trouble, now or soon. It also sounds like it has become impossible for you to keep him safe and your own health is suffering. I don’t know if social services are involved, but for your sake and his perhaps they should be. Hope he comes back soon x
Thankfully he is back - in one piece - but he has bought the bike, which is a real worry, as it means he will go off and I won't know where he is. I said at least he had to be safe, and get a helmet, but he refused, as he says he doesn't need one.
There is no way I will be getting a bike to go with him - I do enough things that I do not want to to keep him safe/occupied.

I think I will be ringing social services, as I cannot go on like this. I simply, mentally, cannot deal with the fact that he thinks everything is fine and dandy, and I know that it is not, and that problems lurk around every corner with him...

Trekker

Jun 18, 2019
London
Thankfully he is back - in one piece - but he has bought the bike, which is a real worry, as it means he will go off and I won't know where he is. I said at least he had to be safe, and get a helmet, but he refused, as he says he doesn't need one.
There is no way I will be getting a bike to go with him - I do enough things that I do not want to to keep him safe/occupied.

I think I will be ringing social services, as I cannot go on like this. I simply, mentally, cannot deal with the fact that he thinks everything is fine and dandy, and I know that it is not, and that problems lurk around every corner with him...
I think that’s a really good decision @maryjoan Take courage, you are doing the right thing x

Loisand

Dec 25, 2017
To be brutally honest - the stuff that comes out of his stoma, stinks like nothing on earth........... I have candle melts burning in most rooms all the time, windows open when possible - I don't go into his bedroom more than I have too - it's all about damage limitation isn't it???? The carer recommended something called Dr Backmann's stain remover - it comes like the usual sprays, but has a brush at the top - she said it was really good, so put it on my next grocery order list - not expensive either at under £4 - we will see.......
Bless, please let me know how you get on with it, hugs x

AliceA

May 27, 2016
just hope Adult Services acts quickly, this could turn into a Turning Point. I think several say it needs a crisis.
Thinking of you, a big hug. Xxx

SouWester

Dec 11, 2012
Devon
After many years of looking after my wife i have reached the tipping point today. I understand from Social Services that I can just say 'I have had enough and no longer feel able to give her the care she now needs'. Has anyone on here walked away like this? Are there any downsides to it? I don't want to lose contact with her.

cmwmoonshine

Mar 3, 2014
I have reached my tipping point already today he said he drank drain cleaner and now he's panicking about the cats drinking it ! " why are they all lying down suddenly? " he says ! Now he won't come into the bedroom !
I looked it up online and told him he would be screaming in pain from chemical burns so I'm not worried that he's actually done it , but now he's checking everything in the bathroom to make sure it won't hurt the cats !
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Right rant over time to get up !

Jacky54

Aug 5, 2019
@maryjoan ....that’s all my OH tends to watch, game shows. Now, while I don’t mind too much, my tipping point is whatever is on, even live sport, I hear, “see it, been on before” etc and it drives me insane!! While sometimes I just respond with a “mmmm” it drives me to distraction!! Like you say, what will the rest of the day bring
Oh that “we’ve seen this” drives me crazy too! I just say yes, but I cannot remember how it ends, so I need to keep watching. For now, that works but I know it won’t always be a solution. It’s so wearing having to spend all our time trying to manage their behaviours by modifying ours.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
After many years of looking after my wife i have reached the tipping point today. I understand from Social Services that I can just say 'I have had enough and no longer feel able to give her the care she now needs'. Has anyone on here walked away like this? Are there any downsides to it? I don't want to lose contact with her.
I wonder how things are now for you?

My Tipping Point was last Sunday, 11.15pm I returned home after a flight from Edinburgh - he had spent Christmas in Derby with his son.

OH arrived home before me, I had carers in only a couple of hours before I was due to arrive. When I got home OH was staggeringly drunk ( he is not supposed to drink for medical reasons) When the carer saw me this week she said he was trying to get a bottle of wine open when she was there, and took a fork to it because he could not use the bottle opener.

He has forgotten all about it now, of course, but his son did ring Social Services for me, and said I was at the end of my tether. I am looking now at moving into a rented bungalow nearby, but does that mean he will stick his head in a bottle again all the time??
@SouWester - is there no happy way out for any of us? I fear the answer is a resounding 'NO'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA