Anger at loss of driving licence

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Hi All - just wondered if the UK is different then from the Channel Islands, we have to get a doctors certificate if there is anything wrong with us from diabetes to dementia - if that is not approved you don't get the licence from the Driving Licence Department. Can you just run through how it works in the UK - sorry not related just interested? Luckily my MIL (PWD) gave up driving about 3 months before she was diagnosed on her own accord, before this she hit reverse on her automatic twice instead of forwards and she ended up in a neighbours front window and the last time she went was supposed to hit the brake but ended up righting her car off as she went straight into the wall of her annex. I just said well we can get you a new car but next time it happens their could be a child behind/infront of you or you could be down the pier (where we park for town) and end up in the sea! A few days later - "she decided" that it would be best for her to stop driving!

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
After reading all the posts on here I can see I am in the same boat (car ) lol as a lot of people , OH had to surrender his licence last November and moaned daily and was always asking about when he could have it back , this past week I have changed the car bought jointly but in my name I am the sole driver and insured person . it has not stopped him having a moan about my driving but he was over heard while we were out with friends saying he was not allowed to drive any more -that's the first time he has admitted it to any one . So I think he has finally got it .
I truly believe the change of car helped , plus its easier for him to get into , so a win win situation

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
After reading all the posts on here I can see I am in the same boat (car ) lol as a lot of people , OH had to surrender his licence last November and moaned daily and was always asking about when he could have it back , this past week I have changed the car bought jointly but in my name I am the sole driver and insured person . it has not stopped him having a moan about my driving but he was over heard while we were out with friends saying he was not allowed to drive any more -that's the first time he has admitted it to any one . So I think he has finally got it .
I truly believe the change of car helped , plus its easier for him to get into , so a win win situation

Yes. Mum now has a new role, the passenger seat driver.....drives me round the twist some days!

Its tough, but likely the right decision ;)

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I bought a wheelchair adapted car the other day and took OH out in it for test drive. He sat there with a huge smile and when I asked what he thought (meaning about the car) he said, I thought you drove very professionally.

I had to smile and took that as approval. lol. It's the first time he's been in a vehicle since Christmas day, other than an ambulance.

maryjoan

Mar 25, 2017
South of the Border
Our answer was rather drastic - but we cope with it.

I still have a license but sold my car as it had reached the end of its life. OH still had his car which we used. He lost his license because of dementia - so I encouraged him to sell his car and pay off his overdraft - so he did.

No car, no problem. We live in a remote village, but we cope OK - it helps to get groceries delivered.

He now thinks that when he wins the lottery, he will have his stoma operation reversed, and get his license back.

There are more holes in that than enough - none of it is going to happen, so job done!

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
My dad is still going on about getting in his car and driving..”When he can walk”As he is 86 and had a stroke over 2years ago and is in mid stage dementia that is never going to happen.I have said to him “That as you cannot walk without a gutter frame and have no balance it is unlikely “He still goes on but as his license ran out when he had a stroke I never bothered to renew it.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I was ready to write to DVLA about The Banjoman’s driving ability when he started having problems with his legs and couldn’t drive. Then his car was due for taxing and insuring while he was in hospital and I convinced him that it didn’t make sense to pay out all that money just to have the car sitting outside (it was parked in a public car park so needed tax and insurance) so perhaps it might be better to sell it. A friend knew someone who was interested in it and it was sold in a few days and was gone by the time he came out of hospital.
There were still plenty of comments about getting another car when his legs were better or how he could have gone places if he still had a car but they gradually tailed off and it only gets mentioned occasionally now.
When the time came to renew his licence I just completed it to say he wasn’t going to renew it and got him to sign it.
I breathed a lot happier once I knew he was off the road!

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Hi I have been talking about dementia & driving on talking point since March 2005, I think there is one subject that’s never discussed if the driver is in receipt of Careers allowances or disability benefits it worth bearing in mind if you receive either benefit its very doubtful you have both

Especially if your G.P or Consultant has supported your benefit application, and when you apply for your Driving Licence the DVLA will definitely ask your permission to contact your G.P & Consultant to complete a questionnaire on your fitness to drive well the G.P or Consultant its not going to happen
I didn’t really understand the comment !? I have always driven - and it will be another 10 years before I have to do a new test (Australia) . Carers allowance is pretty low here - $60 per week. MJ

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew Fargher