What are the best apps for non-verbal communication?

Forgetmenot27

Jul 19, 2019
I'd love to hear your recommendations of which app/(s) my Dad could use to communicate his wants and needs. At the moment, his ability to speak fluctuates during the day but is declining ((He has Parkinson's Disease and Lewy Body Dementia).

I want to introduce an app now so that he can practise with it before he cannot speak any more. He has always loved technology so I'm looking for something very simple on his iPad (largely pictures?) that he could use to tell people what he wants (e.g. a cup of tea, to go somewhere). What have others found works well?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Forgetmenot27 and welcome to DTP.

I hope that members who have used an app will come on and let you know what they have found helpful.

Another alternative, though, is that you could ask to get your dad referred to a speech therapist as they have creative ways of communicating and may well know about technology.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Sorry if this dampens your enthusiasm for technology.

Dementia is relentlessly, at varying rates, progressive, ability to use the app and call up the image may be lost.

Why not cut to the chase and print (and laminate?) A4 sheets of the images?

You could start using them yourself so he gets the idea - 'cup of tea Dad' , and jokingly point to the image of a cup of tea .

For the last 3 months of her life my wife (with LBD) was non verbalising, some of the staff in the nursing home used my laminated cards of images to show to other residents to point at to indicate their request.