Bowel issues

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hello,
Mum is 81 with bvFTD. Slowly going downhill but still thinks she is absolutely fine.
The issue at the moment is loose bowels and messing everywhere. Not nice for the carers having to constantly clean up after her in the mornings and us too when we are there.
Why does this suddenly happen?
I took her to the doctor this week - bowels are fine, no obstruction, but she did have a UTI and is on antibiotics.
Does anyone else have an idea of what we can try? Thank you.

Mum is on patches for FTD
Metformin for diabetes
Cholesterol tablets
Sertraline for depression

and antibiotics for UTI. Maybe it is these?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hello,
Mum is 81 with bvFTD. Slowly going downhill but still thinks she is absolutely fine.
The issue at the moment is loose bowels and messing everywhere. Not nice for the carers having to constantly clean up after her in the mornings and us too when we are there.
Why does this suddenly happen?
I took her to the doctor this week - bowels are fine, no obstruction, but she did have a UTI and is on antibiotics.
Does anyone else have an idea of what we can try? Thank you.

Mum is on patches for FTD
Metformin for diabetes
Cholesterol tablets
Sertraline for depression

and antibiotics for UTI. Maybe it is these?

How long has your mum been taking Metformin for,and how long has she been having loose bowels ?I use it as I have T2 diabetes but I luckily tolerate it well but some people can have explosive episodes with it,does you rmum take it with a meal,that's when I take mine I have half my meal and then take the pills then finish my meal

Last edited:

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
Hi @Cazzita i wonder if it's the antibiotics. Do the timings coincide? Mum always got 'loose' whenever she had them for UTI which was frequent. I used to leave carers a message to warn them usually happened from 2nd day onwards & was quite a problem. Mum was normally inclined to be a little constipated so that probably made things worse. She was also on metformin but I don't recall any toilet issues from this.

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
How long has your mum been taking Metformin for,and how long has she been having loose bowels ?I use it as I have T2 diabetes but I luckily tolerate it well but some people can have explosive episodes with it,does you rmum take it with a meal,that's when I take mine I have half my meal and then take the pills then finish my meal

Hello @witts1973 , thank you for replying. Mum has been on Metformin for about a year now and had no problems for most of that time, so it is unlikely to be that. Mum takes her metformin in the morning with breakfast. Thanks x

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hi @Cazzita i wonder if it's the antibiotics. Do the timings coincide? Mum always got 'loose' whenever she had them for UTI which was frequent. I used to leave carers a message to warn them usually happened from 2nd day onwards & was quite a problem. Mum was normally inclined to be a little constipated so that probably made things worse. She was also on metformin but I don't recall any toilet issues from this.

Thanks @Moggymad , it probably was the antibiotics. She seemed better today - not so loose but still messy! So, this is something I have learned I guess, that with UTIs, there will be trade-off with loose bowels - what a damn shame! x

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hello @witts1973 , thank you for replying. Mum has been on Metformin for about a year now and had no problems for most of that time, so it is unlikely to be that. Mum takes her metformin in the morning with breakfast. Thanks x

Hi I'm glad that things have cleared up after the antibiotics,it's good that she can tolerate Metformin as it has been found to have many health benefits outside of it's original purpose,have a good week xx

At home

May 1, 2016
Hi, my mum is on Donepezil for her dementia, this results in loose stools, recently exascerbated by several courses of antibiotics. After discussion with her GP I give her loperamide tabs, just one usually every other day, which allows some relief. Recently her stools were very watery and though it might seem contra indicated, she has been having Fibrogel - which acts as a bulking agent, and again has given some relief for the wateryness. My mum is quite unaware of the problems, and her wonderful carers never complain, but I get concerned for her skin integrity, and for soreness/inflammation that may result from the amount of wiping and cleaning that has to be done.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hi, my mum is on Donepezil for her dementia, this results in loose stools, recently exascerbated by several courses of antibiotics. After discussion with her GP I give her loperamide tabs, just one usually every other day, which allows some relief. Recently her stools were very watery and though it might seem contra indicated, she has been having Fibrogel - which acts as a bulking agent, and again has given some relief for the wateryness. My mum is quite unaware of the problems, and her wonderful carers never complain, but I get concerned for her skin integrity, and for soreness/inflammation that may result from the amount of wiping and cleaning that has to be done.
Hi have you got a barrier cream prescribed such as Cavilon there are others my mum now has medi derma as I think it was cheaper for them to prescribe,the last time mum had a community nurse she said it was ok for the girls to apply the barrier at each visit,my mum is bed bound and I suppose that a lot of it gets wiped off at pad change time so it was ok to apply 4 times a day and at my house you never know whose going to turn up for the calls so even if one person forgets you have the insurance of it being used a few other times.
The doctor will be always happy to prescibe creams to help prevent sores and make sure that you ring the care company to have it on the daily instructions

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hi I'm glad that things have cleared up after the antibiotics,it's good that she can tolerate Metformin as it has been found to have many health benefits outside of it's original purpose,have a good week xx

Thanks. You too! :) x

Cazzita

May 12, 2018

@At home . Hi there. My mum used to be on Donepezil and we changed to patches because o the loose bowel issue. Might look at Fibrogel, thanks for that. Fantastic that you have lovely carers for your mum - they are such a Godsend aren't they? That's what I worry about with mum, that she miht not be clean enough and that it will all cause complications/more infections etc etc. What a life...

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hi have you got a barrier cream prescribed such as Cavilon there are others my mum now has medi derma as I think it was cheaper for them to prescribe,the last time mum had a community nurse she said it was ok for the girls to apply the barrier at each visit,my mum is bed bound and I suppose that a lot of it gets wiped off at pad change time so it was ok to apply 4 times a day and at my house you never know whose going to turn up for the calls so even if one person forgets you have the insurance of it being used a few other times.
The doctor will be always happy to prescibe creams to help prevent sores and make sure that you ring the care company to have it on the daily instructions

Thanks so much for this information x

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thanks so much for this information x
No worries if you have any problems going forwards enquire with the doctor about Fibrogel as it's quite pricey and they can prescribe that too,if your mum does have a lot of soiling ,there is a product called (Pro Shield foam spray incontinence cleaner) which as well as making cleaning easier as it dissolves the fecal matter it also makes the skin smell lovely and fresh,it's a vey good product,it's good that you're concerned about all of that,your doing great for your mum x
Does your mum have a prescription from the continence team for continence pads/pants?

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
No worries if you have any problems going forwards enquire with the doctor about Fibrogel as it's quite pricey and they can prescribe that too,if your mum does have a lot of soiling ,there is a product called (Pro Shield foam spray incontinence cleaner) which as well as making cleaning easier as it dissolves the fecal matter it also makes the skin smell lovely and fresh,it's a vey good product,it's good that you're concerned about all of that,your doing great for your mum x
Does your mum have a prescription from the continence team for continence pads/pants?

Thank you so much, I will definitely look into that product and yes, doing the best I can under very trying circumstances. Thanks again x
PS: No, I buy Tena Lady pants from Amazon but have an assessment with social services soon so I will mention the incontinence problem and costs. x

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Thank you so much, I will definitely look into that product and yes, doing the best I can under very trying circumstances. Thanks again x
PS: No, I buy Tena Lady pants from Amazon but have an assessment with social services soon so I will mention the incontinence problem and costs. x

Hi the route to the prescribed pads/pull ups be what ever style your mum needs is by giving the doctor a call explain that mum is incontinent and ask to be referred to the continence team as it's by GP referral or I have just read sometimes the continence team will deal with people without going through the GP on a direct basis so if you get their number you can arrange an appointment x

Cazzita

May 12, 2018
Hi the route to the prescribed pads/pull ups be what ever style your mum needs is by giving the doctor a call explain that mum is incontinent and ask to be referred to the continence team as it's by GP referral or I have just read sometimes the continence team will deal with people without going through the GP on a direct basis so if you get their number you can arrange an appointment x

Thanks, I will do that :) x