I've been asked to move Mum to a Dementia Nursing Home

Inaminit

Jul 18, 2019
Mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia nearly four years ago and has been in residential core for just over three years.
Her behaviour is now becoming aggressive and the Care home has asked that she be moved for her own safety and that of the other residents. Understandably.
But I don't believe enough has been done to get her medication right, although she is also under the care of the Mental Health Team.
The feed back I'm getting from the Dementia Nursing Homes that I have visited is that they won't take her all the time she is aggressive, so she does need her meds sorting out.
How do I go about insisting she is assessed for the right medication?
Inaminit

OutdoorGal

Feb 26, 2019
Mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia nearly four years ago and has been in residential core for just over three years.
Her behaviour is now becoming aggressive and the Care home has asked that she be moved for her own safety and that of the other residents. Understandably.
But I don't believe enough has been done to get her medication right, although she is also under the care of the Mental Health Team.
The feed back I'm getting from the Dementia Nursing Homes that I have visited is that they won't take her all the time she is aggressive, so she does need her meds sorting out.
How do I go about insisting she is assessed for the right medication?
Inaminit
I am just going through this with my Dad. The Rapid Intervention Team (Crisis) Team came out to the care home and the Psychiatrist prescribed medication. However the prescription did not get done so we are still waiting for the meds. My Dad also is presenting with aggressive behaviour all of a sudden. We are having to move him from the general nursing home (where he was sent after recovering from a broken hip). I am awaiting a nursing needs assessment to determine what type of dementia home he requires. I am hoping it is not EMI.

i hope you get sorted. What a worrying and distressing time it is. Good luck!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Inaminit and welcome to Dementia talking Point.

Sometimes, if you find the right home, you dont need so much medication as a general care/nursing home often doesnt have the expertise to deal with dementia as it progresses.

EMI homes are not to be feared @Inaminit and @OutdoorGal . My mum moved to an EMI unit - she was totally paranoid when she moved in and lashed out at the carers. She hit one of them with her walking stick and I was terrified that she would be thrown out, but they accepted it as "one of those things". Within a few weeks her paranoia was reducing and after a couple of months had gone. She did not require any medication. She was beautifully cared for in this scruffy home that needed decorating, but the care was second to none and she thrived there. She passed away in this home 3 years later and I have some very happy memories of the time she was there.

OutdoorGal

Feb 26, 2019
Hello @Inaminit and welcome to Dementia talking Point.

Sometimes, if you find the right home, you dont need so much medication as a general care/nursing home often doesnt have the expertise to deal with dementia as it progresses.

EMI homes are not to be feared @Inaminit and @OutdoorGal . My mum moved to an EMI unit - she was totally paranoid when she moved in and lashed out at the carers. She hit one of them with her walking stick and I was terrified that she would be thrown out, but they accepted it as "one of those things". Within a few weeks her paranoia was reducing and after a couple of months had gone. She did not require any medication. She was beautifully cared for in this scruffy home that needed decorating, but the care was second to none and she thrived there. She passed away in this home 3 years later and I have some very happy memories of the time she was there.