No Social Worker - is that the norm?

Sue36

Jul 14, 2019
We recently arranged for someone from a care company to visit my dad every day and give him his medication (self funded) as he kept forgetting to take it and he is on his own. When the person from the care company came round to fill forms in she was really surprised that dad doesn't have a Social Worker. When dad had his annual review with a nurse at the GP's I asked about it and she said that not everyone has one and if he was coping 'socially' he didn't need a social worker. I don't even know what it means to be 'coping socially' and he probably isn't. So, what are peoples experiences of social workers (or not)?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
In this area you dont get assigned a SW permanantly. OH had a needs assessment last year and was assigned a SW for this and this SW also followed a few things up. In the event OH declined the help offered, so the case was closed and he no longer has a current SW. Im going to try again soon and hope to persuade him to accept help and a day centre now, but when I contact SS again OH will almost certainly have a different SW assigned to him this time.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
We recently arranged for someone from a care company to visit my dad every day and give him his medication (self funded) as he kept forgetting to take it and he is on his own. When the person from the care company came round to fill forms in she was really surprised that dad doesn't have a Social Worker. When dad had his annual review with a nurse at the GP's I asked about it and she said that not everyone has one and if he was coping 'socially' he didn't need a social worker. I don't even know what it means to be 'coping socially' and he probably isn't. So, what are peoples experiences of social workers (or not)?
My mother-in-law was self funding and never had any contact with social services. In fact the care agency my mother-in-law had, never asked about social services and my husband and I just organized things ourselves. I had a phone call once from social services when police were called to her home after she called her care link. But once I explained that my mother-in-law was self funding, they weren't really interested in the care we were providing

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband must have been at least 10 years into his 11 years of dementia before he was assigned a social worker and he was only available two days a week. He worked a full week but had to split his working week to cover three different areas.

He was really helpful and proactive so no complaints there, it was just a little too late in coming.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hear in East Kent you no longer get a dedicated SW but have to contact the Adult Social Care "Hub". They then allocate someone to deal with the issue you have contacted them about.

In fairness, they actually contacted me around March to arrange an annual assessment review for my wife (PWD). This happened to coincide with me asking about respite for my wife this summer. The SW who came was very attentive and sorted out the necessary request to the LA "Panel" and a week later, confirmed the 2 weeks respite had been approved. Though we are still self funding (just), we still needed to apply, as my wife goes to a LA funded integrated care facility, run be the local NHS mental health trust.

Happy to say she will be going there next weekend, whilst I get a well-earned break with our family. She did a week there last summer and all went very well.:):cool:

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hear in East Kent you no longer get a dedicated SW but have to contact the Adult Social Care "Hub". They then allocate someone to deal with the issue you have contacted them about.

In fairness, they actually contacted me around March to arrange an annual assessment review for my wife (PWD). This happened to coincide with me asking about respite for my wife this summer. The SW who came was very attentive and sorted out the necessary request to the LA "Panel" and a week later, confirmed the 2 weeks respite had been approved. Though we are still self funding (just), we still needed to apply, as my wife goes to a LA funded integrated care facility, run be the local NHS mental health trust.

Happy to say she will be going there next weekend, whilst I get a well-earned break with our family. She did a week there last summer and all went very well.:):cool:
The system you describe is pretty much identical to Glasgow. I have found them helpful but once a contact has been made and dealt with then it all goes back to square one and if necessary started up with a new SW the next time.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
The system you describe is pretty much identical to Glasgow. I have found them helpful but once a contact has been made and dealt with then it all goes back to square one and if necessary started up with a new SW the next time.

Would be the same here too - the cost of the imminent 2 weeks respite will take us near or slightly below the upper assets limit so will have to contact the LA again soon to start the financial assessment process:eek:.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother is self-funded and started having carers 3 years ago (she is now in a care home). She was assessed twice by social workers, firstly at her GP's request, then at my request. They did the needs assessment and I then didn't see them for dust because she was self funding, in fact after the first assessment her case was 'closed' so when I rang the second time (about 9 months later) we had to start all over again with a different SW. The second one told me she was getting better care than SS could offer and that was that. The care agency never asked about a SW as far as I remember.

So IME no SW isn't unusual at all!