Why has my dad been diagnosed folic acid?Vit B 12

CeeCee1

Jul 18, 2019
Hi

My dad has dementia which the family has been aware of over the last couple of years. Dad went to see his gp with my mum a couple of weeks ago and failed the memory tests. His gp said the next step was blood tests which were done 2 days ago. The dr told my mum tp phone the surgery in a week to get the results, however today the pharmacy contacted my mum to say that there wasa prescription there for my dad for folic acid and vit b12 which he has to take until November. I'm assumning that this means the blood results are back. Why does my dad have to take these supplements and what will the benefit be? My mum has asked me to find out for her. I have looked all over the internet and other than finding out that folic acid is low in people who have dementia i can find no other information.

Any advice much appreciated.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Vitamin B12 deficiency is renowned as being responsible for memory deficits in some people who cannot absorb it from food in sufficient amounts.

My husband was diagnosed 5 years ago with Alzheimer's and as part of his treatment, the geriatrician prescribed vitamin B12. Our GP recently sent him off for blood tests which included vitamin B12 and folate both of which were OK.

Not sure about the folic acid but I think someone from TP will be along who will be able to help.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
As far as I know, deficiency in vitamin B12 and folic acid might cause memory deficits.
My husband was prescribed blood tests to exclude that his memory issues were due to something different from dementia. Unfortunately his tests were ok.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Folic acid and vit B12 deficiency can cause dementia like symptoms in some people. My OH is low in folic acid and vit D (he takes tablets which impede their absorption) and takes them as a supplement, but it is hasnt improved his symptoms, so they can rule that out as a cause.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I personally B12 deficiency is more related to Old Age I had dementia for almost twenty years and during that time many blood tests it was only my blood test in March it was discovered I needed B12 injections
I had six B12 injections it a two week period and now a B12 injection every 3 months I was also diagnosed with a Kidney carcinoma :eek: in March as I said probably Old Age I am 6 years over the three score & ten :):) alway look on the bright side of life ;):rolleyes:

CeeCee1

Jul 18, 2019
Thanks everyone for the really helpful advice. Does anyone have any idea of how likely it is that my dad's confusion and memory is caused by the deficiencies? I see a few posters have said that the supplements didn't improve their loved ones dementia symptoms. I would add that my dad isn't aware that he has any issues with his memory.
Thanks.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
B12 folate test is usually taken to rule out any deficiency because a lack of the vitamin can cause memory problems. They have prescribed the supplements to see if your dad's memory improves after he has finished the course.

I am afraid you will just have to wait and see before they do or don't diagnose him with dementia.

I hope that you see an improvement in your dad's memory.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi, my MIL has Alzheimer’s but when she also had anaemia (b12 deficiency is a type of anaemia) her overall function deteriorated dramatically. We had put her name on waiting lists for a care home but the improvement has made us reconsider for now. She still needs carers twice daily but we can cope again

CeeCee1

Jul 18, 2019
Thank you. My dream is that the supplements will correct the deficiency and return my dad back to his old self. I don't know if that will happen though. Everywhere I look, I see articles magazines and hear stories of how people are aware they have dementia and are living with it. I understand that knowing probably comes with its own set of problems but I wish my dad was aware he had it, if that is what he does have as i feel.it would be in some way easier. From the beginning he has been unaware of any issues.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thanks everyone for the really helpful advice. Does anyone have any idea of how likely it is that my dad's confusion and memory is caused by the deficiencies? I see a few posters have said that the supplements didn't improve their loved ones dementia symptoms. I would add that my dad isn't aware that he has any issues with his memory.
Thanks.
It's very hard to know whether the supplements make any difference or not.

A relative was noticeably having memory problems many years ago and has vitamin B12 injections regularly since. They made a huge difference to him, now 84 years and only now starting to show signs of dementia.

My husband has been taking the supplement for 5 years, is declining very slowly but I don't have any idea if it's that or just the nature of his condition.

It's not an expensive supplement but in my opinion it's worth try.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
L Ann