If I move mum from her home to be near me will my local authority pay care home fees ?

Megan M

Jul 18, 2019
My mum is currently managing at home on her own but clearly has dementia. I envisage only a small deterioration would now mean that mum would not be able to cope. I am considering moving mum to live near me so I don't spend the next few years on the motorway driving back and forth to deal with care needs. Will my local authority pay for my mum's care needs when she runs out of money if she has moved down to receive care near me?

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
It depends! I moved my mum to a CH near me but she was (still is) self-funding. It makes a lot of sense.

As far as I know, it would be up to your mum's current LA to fund her if she needed that immediately or soon, not your LA. However, I think it changes after 2 years. I was told that once mum had been resident in the CH for 2 years, if she needed LA funding after that, my LA would have to pay.

I'm sure others will be along to confirm/correct this :)

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Is you mum currently on the LAs books where she is now?

If not I think she can just move and the current LA will not be involved.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That's exactly it - if she is on record with her Social Services, they are responsible. If not, the new ones will be.