DNR

Brumsteve

Feb 12, 2019
I'm just looking for some advice about DNR's.

My mother has always said she never wants to be kept alive or resuscitated if there was no hope for her to live a good quality life. I think sometime in the past she has had a DNR when she was admitted to hospital possibly for an operation but we don't know if it still on her medical records or not. Now she has been diagnosed with dementia my sister and I are wondering if it is possible to have a DNR put in place? We don't think that my mom has the capacity to make such a decision now, she was diagnosed with Alzheimers and vascular dementia in February and seems to be on the decline rapidly.

Could someone advise us if it's possible to have a DNR put in place by my sister and me and does anyone know how to go about? We know that this is something my mother would want.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
There is such a thing as an Advance Directive but whether your Mother’s dementia would be considered too advanced to allow her to make one is debatable.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/end-of-life-care/advance-decision-to-refuse-treatment/

Her GP could discuss the DNAR with her, which is a different thing and it would be in her medical records. Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney for Health & Welfare, which would allow you to talk to the GP about this?

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother is in a care home, and soon after she arrived the manager asked me about a DNR. I agreed it was a good idea, and the manager then contacted the GP to confirm it. She said the GP might want to call me and discuss it, but actually he never did. So in your case, I'd go direct to her GP, your mother can't make the decision but you can do it on her behalf.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
In my husband's case the DNR was actually raised with me by the consultant. I agreed to it, but a few months later it became apparent that it had to be set up for every hospital and institution he was treated in during the five months leading up to his death. in fact, there were four or five DNRs in place at one time.

it sounds convoluted, but there was never actually a problem with it. The lead medical person would always instigate the conversation about the DNR with me as soon as my husband came under their care.

It's worth talking to the GP as you have LPA, but the conversation will still need to be had with each hospital, care home etc along the way.

Brumsteve

Feb 12, 2019
Thank you all for the advice. I'll (try) to sort it out with her GP but as we all know it's easier said than done getting to see them.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
I have been told that if a person is living at home and a DNAR is in place that you need to have a note about it easily visible in the hallway or entrance area to the house so that ambulance personnel can see it when they arrive, otherwise they will automatically go ahead with resuscitation if necessary..

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
My mum had a DNAR, it was in the front of her care plan. We were told to take it to the hospital if she was admitted. Apparently we should have carried it with us at all times, it being on her person so it could be found

If a DNAR has been issued previously, at the hospital where she had an operation there should be a record and they should have sent a copy home with her. You could contact that hospital and ask them to provide it, or if lost, arrange for another to be issued

That’s the theory. The hospital lost mums, but there was a record in her notes that it had been done, so they issued another.

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
My OH DNR, was dicussed between me, OH and our practice mental health nurse when he was first diagnosed (I have LPA) and it was he who agreed to it which I knew he would as he had always made his thoughts clear in the past.. When he was admitted to hospital with a very serious infection it was easy for me to tell the consultant OHs wishes and it was duly raised. I have it in his folder at home and it is on his medical records, although like above, the first 'went missing' and a second had to be raised.

Last edited:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
They do go missing and no one talks to each other. Last time mum was taken to hospital I was asked about DNAR and queried it, saying it should be on her records from the previous visit. No, it wasn't and I was also told that, 'That would only apply to the previous occasion - we need a new one now.'

I spoke with her GP at a later date and mum now has a 'permanent' DNAR on her records and CH care notes. (It also states 'no hospital' and that the CH is mum's preferred place to die.) However, paramedics sometimes overlook care notes, don't consult the GP or check any other records when they turn up so I now carry a copy of mum's Advance Directive in my handbag. :rolleyes: o_O

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream