How do I get some help?

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
My mum lives with me and has just been diagnosed with dementia which has progressed at an alarming rate. I thought the Doctor would contact Social Services and they would visit and put a care package in place. I’ve had a letter from the mental health team who are coming on Friday but I haven’t heard anything from anyone else. I have no idea where to start and I’m finding it extremely difficult to cope.

I need to get control of her finances so I can pay for things my Father needs, he is also in a care home and all though he’s fully funded he needs personal items and things like, clothes, hair cuts and a chiropodist to look after his feet. I don’t have power of attorney.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Contact your local Social Services and tell them the situation. Ask for an urgent care needs assessment and a carers assessment, Rosserk. Does your mum have enough mental capacity to grant you POA, and would she do so. Your GP might charge a fee to sign the forms, but we got my OH's chiropodist to do it and she was happy to do so without charge. AgeUK were very helpful in advising us on the process.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi I think you need to get POA and contact SS for an urgent assessment
I hope you can be there Friday for the the mental health team and make sure they know all that is happening.
Your Fathers finances should be separate from your Mothers.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Contact your local Social Services and tell them the situation. Ask for an urgent care needs assessment and a carers assessment, Rosserk. Does your mum have enough mental capacity to grant you POA, and would she do so. Your GP might charge a fee to sign the forms, but we got my OH's chiropodist to do it and she was happy to do so without charge. AgeUK were very helpful in advising us on the process.

Hi thanks for the advice

My mother definitely doesn’t have mental capacity. I think I’m going to have to go down the guardianship route because I’m too late to get POA.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
Hi I think you need to get POA and contact SS for an urgent assessment
I hope you can be there Friday for the the mental health team and make sure they know all that is happening.
Your Fathers finances should be separate from your Mothers.

My mother has control of her and my fathers joint finances. I’m too late to get POA. I didn’t realise I could call and request an assessment I thought they had to be informed by a doctor. Thanks I will give them a call.