Dogs and Cats!

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
My MIL is obsessed with our cat but as it is warmer it likes to go outside more (in the winter it sits on the MIL in her annex she lives in at our house). So as the cat is outside more the MIL has decided that the cat no longer likes her, so she has taken to calling my dog into her annex. Unfortunately the dog has had two ops recently and is not allowed to jump up or down, so the last week I have had to go in and retrieve the dog from the top of her sofa and take her back into our house. The MIL says she is fine as she lifts the dog up onto the sofa (yeah course she does she would fall over if she tried!) and how does she get back down I ask - oh she jumps! So I've had to restrict letting the dog into the garden or she will be way laid into the annex on the pretence of now having a cat treat (even though the dog is on a strict diet) So of course now I am being questioned by the MIL why wont I let her have the dog, after all I've take the cat away and now the dog! And breath and change the subject quickly!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Definitely a case for going online and taking a look at those lifelike toy pets which can move and be stroked.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Definitely a case for going online and taking a look at those lifelike toy pets which can move and be stroked.

No she would know the difference still at the moment but something to bear in mind for the future - had not even thought of that! I am sure the cat will return once it turns colder!

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
No she would know the difference still at the moment but something to bear in mind for the future - had not even thought of that! I am sure the cat will return once it turns colder!

My mum is also obsessed with my dog, I bought her a lovely lifelike springer spaniel toy puppy and although she knows that it is a toy mum carries it everywhere and even talks to it so you may be surprised.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Our cat loves to join mum on her hospital bed at home,I often have to turf him of when the carers come,she also enjoys a couple of well made puppy soft toys that sit on her bed made by Keele toys they are called a Keele patch puppy floppy dog and lie on a bed pefectly,I got them from Ebay and they are a good size,bigger in the flesh that what they looked like in the photo and nicely so

A huge ginger cat that appears in our garden often, appeared in our home tonight when he walked in an open window in the lounge and sat on the window sill,It was a shock!

Last edited:

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
My mum is also obsessed with my dog, I bought her a lovely lifelike springer spaniel toy puppy and although she knows that it is a toy mum carries it everywhere and even talks to it so you may be surprised.

I just had a look and they are so cute - even found one just like our mongrel that she loves - but she is not at that stage where she would accept one (she would just say I'm no that dippy yet!) - but its good to know for the future - so many things you would not think off till you come on the forums. Its a thought also for the when she does have to go into care eventually as she has already mentioned that the animals would not be able to see her (although at the moment she categorically anti care home finds all excuses!) thanks

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Something I wonder, Donkeyshere, is if you ordered the toy, said it was for you - that you saw it and like it, might that prompt her to be interested in it even though she knows it isn't real?

Mummy always wants some of what I have (mobile phone, food etc) much more than if I had bought it for her. Also, it reinforces the idea that cuddly toys are cute, and you can like them without being dippy. Well I hope so, because I quite like them.....

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I just had a look and they are so cute - even found one just like our mongrel that she loves - but she is not at that stage where she would accept one (she would just say I'm no that dippy yet!) - but its good to know for the future - so many things you would not think off till you come on the forums. Its a thought also for the when she does have to go into care eventually as she has already mentioned that the animals would not be able to see her (although at the moment she categorically anti care home finds all excuses!) thanks
I take my dogs to visit my Dad in the care home, it cheers everyone up. I was surprised when they encouraged animal visitors, but it’s a home environment.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I take my dogs to visit my Dad in the care home, it cheers everyone up. I was surprised when they encouraged animal visitors, but it’s a home environment.
That's lovely,I have read about pet therapy before,and dogs and cats helping people to relax,and some homes have regular dog visits for this purpose,my cat would be kicked out for stealing food

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
That's lovely,I have read about pet therapy before,and dogs and cats helping people to relax,and some homes have regular dog visits for this purpose,my cat would be kicked out for stealing food

Since Dads been at the CH they have had the Donkey Sanctuary in with donkeys, Birds of Prey sanctuary with owls & birds of prey, every month a Therapy dog, plus the weekly gardener brings her dog in, visitors with dogs, & the bird feeders in the garden are always tended.

Mum just adopts other people’s animals! Bought her a large panda toy to keep her company in bed at night! Big big hit! Seriously - she lives it & it’s a talking point everyday!

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Since Dads been at the CH they have had the Donkey Sanctuary in with donkeys, Birds of Prey sanctuary with owls & birds of prey, every month a Therapy dog, plus the weekly gardener brings her dog in, visitors with dogs, & the bird feeders in the garden are always tended.

Mum just adopts other people’s animals! Bought her a large panda toy to keep her company in bed at night! Big big hit! Seriously - she lives it & it’s a talking point everyday!

Your Mum sounds so proud of her panda,I bought my mum a lovely soft dog at Xmas that lays flat on her bed,I think I will do domething similar this year as there is little that she can use or hold now but she enjoys talking to her dog and playing with his tail that sticks up in the air.
The home sounds fantastic,with all that has been arranged for those visits,elderly people even outside of a care home setting can be forgotten about in society as yesterdays news,I can imagine the pleasure it brings them seeing those wonderful animals(I wish I could meet a donkey),how heart warming.
Have a good weekend

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mums care home used to have PAT dogs come in regularly and I bought mum a huge, realistic looking toy rabbit that she loved and used to talk to.

Animals - both real and toy - seem to help enormously

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
My Mum's home has frequent animal visits. Earlier this year there were plans for a visit from a baby elephant! :eek: That has now been shelved due to cost and will now possibly be a donkey visit instead.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
My Mum's home has frequent animal visits. Earlier this year there were plans for a visit from a baby elephant! :eek: That has now been shelved due to cost and will now possibly be a donkey visit instead.

Laughing at the baby elephant- it reminds me of a Billy Connelly joke - “ you know when the circus is in town there’s a new mini roundabout curtesy of the elephants!”

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Your Mum sounds so proud of her panda,I bought my mum a lovely soft dog at Xmas that lays flat on her bed,I think I will do domething similar this year as there is little that she can use or hold now but she enjoys talking to her dog and playing with his tail that sticks up in the air.
The home sounds fantastic,with all that has been arranged for those visits,elderly people even outside of a care home setting can be forgotten about in society as yesterdays news,I can imagine the pleasure it brings them seeing those wonderful animals(I wish I could meet a donkey),how heart warming.
Have a good weekend

Ikea do large stuffed affordable toys ( other stores & internet providers are available!)

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Ikea do large stuffed affordable toys ( other stores & internet providers are available!)
I will have a look there,I used Ebay last year the dog was make by Keele toys he's lovely,mind you had to send back one cat that looked like he would have given mum nightmares,mum has a real cat that decides to sleep on her bed now and again,he wont move when the carers arrive and I have to wrestle him;)

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother was obsessed with her cat - she had cats all her life. It was the main obstacle to her moving to a CH (I rehomed him when that became necessary). She always had a few cuddly toys at home, so she had those on her bed in the CH - about six of them.

Over the past year she has adopted every cuddly toy that enters the CH and has about 30 on her bed/windowsill/chair. She often carries one around with her and chats to it. When she was in hospital I took one of them in and she seemed to find that very comforting.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
At mums rural care home there are feral cats that probably came from the nearby farms & some have taken up residence in the grounds of the home much to the dismay of the gardener. They are youngsters & occasionally kittens & as cat lovers we love watching them. We get our cups of tea & biscuits & sit in mums room which overlooks the carpark watching their antics. Of course it helps to have a little enticement of food under my car but don't tell the gardener. He only tolerates them to catch any rodents.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Mum keeps on insisting we have a cat, this is because she has taken to a little cuddly toy I have of Bagpuss (anyone remember?), I get a bit worried when she says the cat can eat the scraps from dinner.

She also has two robins (not real) on her kitchen window sill who she talks to frequently. One of them falls off into the sink below and she immediately gets worried where its gone to, until she finds it again.

She also has a dragon (actually mine that she has now decided is hers), who sits in the front kitchen window, looking out, she frequently speaks to him and he often changes position.

Last edited:

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
I bought Mum her first 'animatronic' cat several years ago. I ordered it from US. It purrs and miaouws in a very lifelike way, rolls over, and its eyes and ears move. Mum had wanted a cat of her own, but I pointed out to her that it was not possible as she could not get out to take it to the vets if it was poorly, and couldn't bend down to feed it etc (The reality was that Mum couldn't look after herself that well, let alone an animal!) When I bought it, I was worried Mum would think I was mad, or find it an insult, but I explained my reasoning to her and Mum loved the cat desperately. I still have the video clip of when I gave it to her. The cat was a real companion in the time she was still living in Retirement Housing and a lifeline in terms of helping with Mum's anxiety and depression. Mum became distraught every time the batteries ran out, as she thought the cat was poorly, but that toy was worth it's weight in gold.
As Mum's dementia worsened, she was not so careful with the cat and one day it was obvious that it had been manhandled a bit too much and had lost it's miaouw, and it looked at me with half shut eyes in a very sinister way. Thankfully I had already bought a replacement .... just in case! I knew that Mum was still aware enough to realise that a new cat would not look like the much-loved, much-stroked, slightly grubby original. What followed was a very elaborate 'love lie'. I told her that my husband had made the cat better and that I had given the cat a bit of a beauty treatment at the same time. The truth was that I had been 'roughing' up the new toy, to make it look a little less pristine. Mum bought my story, hook, line and sinker. The cat and Mum were inseparable and eventually moved into the CH together. The cat is so lifelike it caused quite a stir and everyone got to know Mum and the cat, as the sensors made it miaouw when anyone entered the room and Mum would put it in the basket of her zimmer and push the cat about.
Now Mum has forgotten all about the cat - and most other things too. It sits on the windowsill in her room and I have stopped putting batteries in it. The original broken cat is in my loft, along with a 3rd identical one I had bought in case it was needed. It won't be needed now.
I owe so much to 'Queenie' the cat.
X