Self funding and my parents house

BlueyM

May 19, 2019
hi,
My mum is at the state of needing to go in a care home and we know that they will self fund until her savings are down to the limit set by SS.

My parents own their house and social worker has said the house will be disregarded as my dad will still be living in it........however one of my uncles insists that a charge will be put on it to pay back SS when my parents are no longer with us.

I understand that if dad dies first then the house would go to mum and be sold etc etc but if mum dies first do we still have to pay back SS for any funding they make once her savings have run out

. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Assuming that you live in UK, the house will be entirely disregarded all the while your dad is living in it. It is not true that SS will set a charge on it which would have to be paid back later.

Obviously if your dad passes away before your mum then as he is no longer living in the house it will have to be sold, as you realise, but that will only start as from the date he passes away, anything before that will be disregarded.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Your uncle is talking out of his ...bum...the house is mandatory disregaded and no changes can be placed on it at all, full stop, for as long as your mum lives there.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree with above, uncle is giving incorrect advice.

There is however something else to consider.
You don't say how your parents jointly own the house.
If it is owned as joint tenants it is worth considering your dad changing this to tenants in common.
He can do this by simply serving a notice on your mum
https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-common

If he does this he can leave his half share to somebody A N Other than your mum meaning that if he predeceases your mum only your mum's half share becomes available for her care.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Twenty years ago after my husband had been diagnosed with diabetes and depression I arranged for our house ownership to be changed to tenants in common and my will left my estate to be shared equally between my children, with my husband having the right to live in the house until he died. My husband still left his estate to come to me so when he died 18 years ago the house became mine. Now I just hope I never need residential care or the whole property could go!