Wish me luck

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
In February mum's consultant made a referral to Social Services as he thought I would be needing some support, in the last 2 months an assessment officer, a carer support person and the DWP have all visited us.

Tomorrow the assessment officer is meeting me and mum at the local day care centre under the pretext of there being a coffee morning, she is going to wait outside for us to maximise the chances of getting mum inside. If all goes well it will mean that me and OH can have some quality time together.

I am not holding my breath as mum is exceptionally difficult and that is putting it politely!

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
The wheels of Social Care move exceeding slow but with luck they have headed in the right direction!
Fingers crossed that it all goes well.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Hi @reedysue. Did you manage to get your Mum to go into the day centre? That little bit of time to yourself is a real life saver! I really hope things went well.

The visit was just a test for about an hour to see how she behaved, the day care has no one attending at the moment so we will have to wait until they are running again but I am not holding my breath.
Unfortunately we are in a very rural area and are 16 miles from the village where the care home is, it is also a very small facility with only 10 residents and I am not sure whether they will be able to cope with mum.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Do you know when they will be running again?

I am not sure but our assessment officer wants us to keep meeting her there for a coffee when she is in the area to get mum used to the place so fingers crossed. Next time she wants me to sneak out for a walk around the shops while she keeps mum talking.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I am not sure but our assessment officer wants us to keep meeting her there for a coffee when she is in the area to get mum used to the place so fingers crossed. Next time she wants me to sneak out for a walk around the shops while she keeps mum talking.
Fingers and toes crossed for you

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
It looks as if the day centre is a no go at the moment but SS are trying to get us a weeks respite at a care home, unfortunately there is only one home in the area that will accept mum and also has bookable respite and it is a 2 hour drive through the middle of nowhere. I am definitely going to take this respite if possible and the home in question looks lovely. If this trial works out we should be able to have a regular break, I am keeping everything crossed as mum is quite capable of scuppering our plans.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Good luck Sue, I agree with you about taking the respite if offered. I hope the care home has space or a date as to when space will be available.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
It looks as if the day centre is a no go at the moment but SS are trying to get us a weeks respite at a care home, unfortunately there is only one home in the area that will accept mum and also has bookable respite and it is a 2 hour drive through the middle of nowhere. I am definitely going to take this respite if possible and the home in question looks lovely. If this trial works out we should be able to have a regular break, I am keeping everything crossed as mum is quite capable of scuppering our plans.

Don’t let your mum scupper your plans. Easier said than done I know!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knola28