Biggest Challenge Yet - Stool Sample

Sue36

Jul 14, 2019
There is a chance my dad has a stomach problem that could lead to an ulcer as his blood count has dropped and he's had it before (pre Alzheimer's). I took him to the doctors yesterday and was told that they need a stool sample. Dad lives on his own and has no short term memory. I explained this to the doctor who looked flustered and told me that she couldn't offer a practical solution. I was told that the sample had to be in by 11am or 2pm any week day and ideally fresh although can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. I am only off work one day and have no idea how regular my dad is. How do I do this?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
There is a chance my dad has a stomach problem that could lead to an ulcer as his blood count has dropped and he's had it before (pre Alzheimer's). I took him to the doctors yesterday and was told that they need a stool sample. Dad lives on his own and has no short term memory. I explained this to the doctor who looked flustered and told me that she couldn't offer a practical solution. I was told that the sample had to be in by 11am or 2pm any week day and ideally fresh although can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. I am only off work one day and have no idea how regular my dad is. How do I do this?
Hi do you live with your dad then?I did that for my mum and just caught it,I wasn't bothered about it,we're all skin and blood and other matters,I did it for the bowel cancer screening kit,I also had to catch urine for testing at another time for a different test,just go to the toilet with your dad each time he goes,I suppose drop a layer of paper underneath your dad to collect the poo underneath,so keep your eye on things that morning and if you miss it and don't have time to take to GP just monitor every time after that and put it in a container in fridge and see if you could pop it in to the surgery early morning before work

Last edited:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
What about using cling film instead of paper? That way, the cling film can be drooping and easier. It's what is recommended here for fecal tests. You can cover the entire toilet with sheets sheets.

Sue36

Jul 14, 2019
Hi do you live with your dad then?I did that for my mum and just caught it,I wasn't bothered about it,we're all skin and blood and other matters,I did it for the bowel cancer screening kit,I also had to catch urine for testing at another time for a different test,just go to the toilet with your dad each time he goes,I suppose drop a layer of paper underneath your dad to collect the poo underneath,so keep your eye on things that morning and if you miss it and don't have time to take to GP just monitor every time after that and put it in a container in fridge and see if you could pop it in to the surgery early morning before work
No. My dad still lives alone. He has someone who pops in to give him medication in the morning and my uncle sometimes pops in during he day but that's all. I work 4 days / week and have 3 teenagers at home so my time is very stretched.

Sue36

Jul 14, 2019
What about using cling film instead of paper? That way, the cling film can be drooping and easier. It's what is recommended here for fecal tests. You can cover the entire toilet with sheets sheets.
It's not so much how to do it, it's when will I know to do it and how can I time it so that it's at a time when I'm actually able to get it to the doctors. My dad is on his own and I have very limited times when I can be with him. He spent a few hours with us today and didn't visit the toilet once.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It's not so much how to do it, it's when will I know to do it and how can I time it so that it's at a time when I'm actually able to get it to the doctors. My dad is on his own and I have very limited times when I can be with him. He spent a few hours with us today and didn't visit the toilet once.

That's going to be very challenging, I'm sorry I didn't realize that at first. Does the GP have any suggestions?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad was horrified when he had to provide a urine sample, he may have alzheimers and no short term memory but he still has some pride and will not allow me in the bathroom with him.

Sorry this is not helpful but I do understand your difficulty with this. We got the urine sample in the end but it wasn't easy. I just stood outside the bathroom door and relayed instructions to dad. I did give him a larger receptacle to pee in though because he would never have managed with the silly thing the doctor gave him.

Spiritlilly

Apr 28, 2021
My dad was horrified when he had to provide a urine sample, he may have alzheimers and no short term memory but he still has some pride and will not allow me in the bathroom with him.

Sorry this is not helpful but I do understand your difficulty with this. We got the urine sample in the end but it wasn't easy. I just stood outside the bathroom door and relayed instructions to dad. I did give him a larger receptacle to pee in though because he would never have managed with the silly thing the doctor gave him.
Were you successful? If so, how? My mom is super proud too, but has let me help her with some things, but getting her to do this has been horrid. She may have C.Diff and they need some in four bottles. I'm worried if I can't get this she may lose her bowl as her sister did from C.Diff. The hospital even gave us one of those bowl things that sit under the toilet seat for her to go in, then I put the sample in the bottles. She moves the bowl out of the way before going. She won't let me in to help and I don't know how to manage it on my own. She's actually seems to hate me since I've been trying to get this done. Any ad vice would be appreciated.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Spiritlilly welcome to Dementia Talking Point.

This isn’t something I’ve had to cope with and I have to admit I haven’t seen one of the bowls. Is it transparent? Or can your mum see it’s in place? Does your mum flush the toilet? Could the bowl be touching your mum when she sits on the loo and this is why she moves it?

Just trying to think of a way round the problem - sorry for all the questions!