Am I just making excuses?

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Dad 81 with mixed dementia has always been a difficult man.
Not a very social person, very private, not a conversationalist, keeps to himself.
Mum 78 in end stage Alzheimers and in care 3 yrs, was the exact opposite.

Now that Im caring for Dad, I will admit I will always take the path of least resistance. Having cared for Mum to the point where I was becoming stressed and ill, I’m just not going to go there again.

In recent months Dad has had 2 needs assesments.
Dad goes to his club 1-2 times a week, other than this its TV about 16 hrs a day.
There are various groups he can go to, Day Care where Mum is, Caring Callers that can ring him or visit, he can get in a cleaner once a week ( house is becoming quite unkempt)
but Dad refuses everything. He simply doesnt want strangers in his house.
This is not a dementia trait, hes always been like this.
When Mum had carers coming in, especially when she was having difficulty showering & dressing, he would force Mum out of bed at 6am to get dressed, so he could send the carer home saying he had done it all for Mum :eek:

The other day I was talking to our Dementia Care worker.
She said it was time that I stopped listening & accepting what Dad wanted or didnt want,
and just arrange things for his own good.
On one hand if Dad went to daycare or accepted a cleaner once a week it would take pressure off me, but then I would have constant arguments and confrontation from Dad :(
My skin is not so thick anymore that I could take it.

On talking to the care worker, it made me feel that I was just making excuses because I couldnt be bothered and not “caring” for Dad. :(

Admittedly I have a different relationship with Dad and care more out of duty but I wouldnt see him come to harm, but I know I dont give things 100% like Mum.

Last edited:

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
Hi @Limbrusco,
You aren't making excuses. You are simply tired of and worried about your having to deal with such an unmanageable person as your father. Not only do you have the right to think of your health and sanity, but the duty to take care of yourself.
The care worker sounds a bit judgemental

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Your dad is difficult to care for and in your position I think Id take the path of least resistance too!

I guess what your Dementia Care worker is seeing is
if Dad went to daycare or accepted a cleaner once a week it would take pressure off me,
and her advice that there comes a time where we have to stop listening to their wishes and start organising for their needs, is something that gets posted on here regularly.
But I can quite see that if its going to cause arguments it can cause more stress.

Could you try it again and see what happens? As their dementia progresses they often get more amenable, Last year OH was adamant that he wouldnt go into respite to give me a break and that he wasnt going to go to day care, but this year he has already been into respite (I sold it to him as a holiday) and I think he might go to day care too. So - never say never.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi Linbrusco.Your dad sounds very similar to mine.He is adamant that he won’t go to a day care centre.But he goes to a home once a month to have a bath.I got a cleaner in as I have LPOA and if he didn’t I would have had to that as well.He has carers in to get him up and later to put him back to bed.Dad has always been very proud and difficult.I care for him out of duty like you as well.Nobody knew he had a daughter until 5 years ago (I’m 55)So I appreciate where you are coming from.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL