Welcome to Dementia Talking Point! Find out more and say hello.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirkster

Jul 8, 2019
Hi! Fortunately we had all the official ‘stuff’ in place before any sign of cognitive impairment . I’m so relieved we did. I suspect she has vascular dementia. Any advice such as that you’ve shared is really helpful. Thank you

AlwaysWinter

Jul 9, 2019
Hello, I’m new to this but really need support/advice. My mum has Alzheimer’s, she’s 84 and has been in hospital for nearly 8 weeks now. My sister and I realise mum can’t live at home but there’s so much red tape involved with mum being discharged to a nursing/care home for assessment. Mum can’t walk, she has no idea of where she is or what year. It’s just so overwhelming seeing mum go downhill so fast. Hopefully I’ll be among good company here.

Kirkster

Jul 8, 2019
Hello, I'm new to Talking Point. My mum wishes to remain living alone & independently, She has recently been diagnosed with dementia. So far this has been a worrying, exhausting & frustrating experience even though I know it is only the start of the journey. I would love to hear from anyone who is in, or has experience, of being in a similar situation.

Kirkster

Jul 8, 2019
I already feel so supported thank you . I hope we can continue to be in contact. Just so little time these days. Thank you

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Laura1989
a warm welcome to DTP
you've a lot on your plate ... trying to process what's happening with your dad while working and looking after your family is a lot to ask of anyone, so not surprising you feel low at times
at least now you've found this supportive community of folk who understand and will share their experience with you
have a mooch around the forums and start your own thread when you're ready, others will respond with helpful suggestions

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @AlwaysWinter
you definitely are among good folk here who will help if they can
your poor mum being in hospital for so long, you and your sister must be really concerned
it sounds as though the medics etc have at least accepted that your mum needs residential care, which is a positive, though actually having the move arranged, as you say, mean jumping through certain hoops ... I hope you get the placement you want, that is best for your mum
if you have a particular question or issue you want to share, do start a thread and members will give their ideas

AlwaysWinter

Jul 9, 2019
hello @AlwaysWinter
you definitely are among good folk here who will help if they can
your poor mum being in hospital for so long, you and your sister must be really concerned
it sounds as though the medics etc have at least accepted that your mum needs residential care, which is a positive, though actually having the move arranged, as you say, mean jumping through certain hoops ... I hope you get the placement you want, that is best for your mum
if you have a particular question or issue you want to share, do start a thread and members will give their ideas
Thank you. I will post soon on a separate thread but first I’ll take my time in reading what others post .

mompain22

Jul 10, 2019
Hello, I am very concerned about my mom. She has dementia lost her cat and having a really hard time. She cries at every night for him and wanting to go look for him. He passed away 6mos ago. I could really use some advice on this. Thank you

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @mompain22
and welcome to DTP
losing a loved pet is hard at any time and I guess your mom sadly is not retaining the information, so worries where he is
it might help if you made up a fib to cover his absence eg he's being checked out at the vet, then distract her with a treat or favourite activity .. maybe have a chat with her GP as some meds may help her anxiety

I see you have started your own thread, so I hope others too have ideas for you

Ladyfire2

Jul 13, 2019
Good evening everyone. Am I correct to assume that you are located in the UK? I am in the US, State of Ohio. It's in the Mid-west. My Dad has dementia and came to live with me 5 months ago. It has consumed my life and I am exhausted all the time. I retired a year ago and had gotten my passport. I had planned on starting to travel. My first stop was actually going to be London, then Paris. Of course that is not happening now. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life and I am a retired Female Firefighter/EMT! Feeling like I am failing every 3rd day is very hard for me. I know I am doing my best, but I need help, and no one seems to understand everything that is involved with taking care of a loved one with dementia. Even my 3 Sisters. They just act like, "Oh, you're retired, you have all the time in the world to take care of this." It ******me off! I had moved across the entire country 34 years ago to Ohio! They actually lived NEAR my Dad before he came to live with me! Feeling abandoned, frustrated, incapable, and tired. Not sleeping, getting exercise, or feeling the joy of retirement! Thank you for letting me vent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Good evening everyone. Am I correct to assume that you are located in the UK? I am in the US, State of Ohio. It's in the Mid-west. My Dad has dementia and came to live with me 5 months ago. It has consumed my life and I am exhausted all the time. I retired a year ago and had gotten my passport. I had planned on starting to travel. My first stop was actually going to be London, then Paris. Of course that is not happening now. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life and I am a retired Female Firefighter/EMT! Feeling like I am failing every 3rd day is very hard for me. I know I am doing my best, but I need help, and no one seems to understand everything that is involved with taking care of a loved one with dementia. Even my 3 Sisters. They just act like, "Oh, you're retired, you have all the time in the world to take care of this." It ******me off! I had moved across the entire country 34 years ago to Ohio! They actually lived NEAR my Dad before he came to live with me! Feeling abandoned, frustrated, incapable, and tired. Not sleeping, getting exercise, or feeling the joy of retirement! Thank you for letting me vent.

Welcome to DTP @Ladyfire2
We are based in the Uk but we have several US based members.

Vent away. DTP is the perfect place to do it.

Sue36

Jul 14, 2019
Hello
I'm new to the forums. My dad was diagnosed with 'late onset mild Alzheimers' back in 2017. I am not the most organised of people, work between 30 - 40 hours / week and have 3 children so seeking support has been very delayed. I'm hoping that here I will get some answers or advise regarding a few issues I have.
Sue

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hello
I'm new to the forums. My dad was diagnosed with 'late onset mild Alzheimers' back in 2017. I am not the most organised of people, work between 30 - 40 hours / week and have 3 children so seeking support has been very delayed. I'm hoping that here I will get some answers or advise regarding a few issues I have.
Sue
Good morning and welcome to DTP, Sue36. You will get good support and advice here, as we are all going through similar issues with dementia, so feel free to post on the "I care for someone with dementia" forum when you are ready. https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets has a good set of resources if you are not already tired of leaflets. Good luck and keep in touch.

Galenchick

Jul 16, 2019
Hello, new on here.
My mum has alzheimers, diagnosed 2 yrs. Still living independently, I live a out 25miles from her. Sometimes struggle when she is low in mood and talks about not wanting to be here anymore, I mean I struggle that I dont know how to respond to it, not that I dont understand why she says it and how she feels.
Anyway, thought I would give this a try. So hello all

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Galenchick and welcome to DTP
Unfortunately, depression is a common bedfellow with dementia. Lots of people with this find that antidepressants help a lot. You could have a word with her GP about this.

Now that you have found us I do hope that you keep posting, Have a mooch around, but do remember that not everyone will have everything that you will read about.

Galenchick

Jul 16, 2019
Thank you. I have thought about it, but I also know mum will not take any tablets, she doesn't have a carer going in, at the moment she doesnt need that and manages quite well, although she is getting worse. But I appreciate your message

Status
Not open for further replies.