Hurray for the NHS

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Yesterday the ba’ was truly on the slates to use a Glasgow saying. In the midst of a mountain of Johns bedding ready for the wash I received a call to say his 83 year old sister was very unwell. Over the last two weeks I have been giving her Strepsils, paracetamol and lastly ibuprofen when she indicated shoulder pain. To cut a long story short she has pneumonia.

I knew this day would come and a couple of years ago I packed an overnight bag with new pants, nightdresses, slippers, Toiletries etc. Calls were batted back and forward to
Me between the management of her sheltered housing, the doctors surgery, the paramedics they called out to take her to hospital and ultimately the hospital itself. When the paramedics called to say she was in the ambulance I asked if they would stop at my house and pick up the bag of things she would need. And they did.

All of these groups were so gracious and understanding of my dilemma that I could not leave my husband on his own so any info they needed would have to be done over the phone. I now find that a neighbour has phoned her ward and said when she is being discharged he will come and pick her up and take her home.

What could have been a nightmare day worked out amazingly well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It makes all the difference when we are treated kindly and with thoughtfulness. Sadly only bad news makes headlines.

I hope your sister in law makes a full recovery @marionq

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m sorry to hear this Marion. I’m so glad things went smoothly and you were met with understanding. I hope things settle for your sister in law.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
A kindly neighbour too, kindness indeed.
Two of ours have just moved furniture for me.
Thank God for people who walk the extra mile.
Pleased you organising went well, I was told I was a good planner, not sure it is anything but survival instinct!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I have been creeping along on survival instinct for the last 7 years @AliceA. It is being sorely tested right now though and I need something more - I don’t feel I’m doing enough yet I can’t do more. The eternal anxiety of the carer.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
When we were away on respite break, I realised how it takes a team not a one man band. I am recalculating a budget to see how I get more help in place.
August is the challenge for me. I am allergic to wasps, the family are away so trying to put in emergency care if needed.
I am exhausted, a day of phones calls and canned music. Yes, we hobble along. X

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I had a good NHS experience on Wed, phone call to GP surgery about 3pm, phoned back within half an hour, appt an hour later, and then saw a nurse practitioner who called in GP as needed full consideration to be given - I thought it was one thing, but they thought it might be something else rather nasty, thankfully it was the first thing (mumps despite injections in my 14 year old son).

I am fully aware treatment was so prompt because my phone description indicated the rather nasty condition which nurse practitioner's examination also indicated, not because it was easy to fit me in. It was a bit stressful once I realised what it could be (bone infection which is hard to treat and often results in removal of infected bone to prevent spread to brain and can result in deafness).

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa