Hi all, new to this forum so forgive me for all the questions.

lizzydog

Jul 11, 2019
I look after my mum who has alzheimer's. i called social services to provide care twice per day to ensure mum had her medication correctly as i can not always get there every day. mum is generally doing well but needs help with meals, working the washing machine, house cleaning etc although she is still able to shower herself every day and eventually can get herself dressed. mum is cheery and happy mostly but is a stubborn yorkshire lass and doesn't always welcome help. my reason for joining this forum is to ask questions regarding her frequent falls. its difficult to explain but all i can liken it to is "a power cut to her brain". mum just drops immediately like a robot with the power cut off. she has hit furniture on the way down and has had some nasty injuries. i need to ask if anyone else has this kind of symptom and what is it??
thank you on advance

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi lizzie welcome to TP
My mum did something similar and it turned out to be low blood pressure and after 40 years on medication for high blood pressure they stopped it, getting up quickly was the trigger for her so the doorbell, hearing the phone, church services and eventually her being called into the doctors room she got up and collapsed in the surgery.
There could be many reasons so you need to get it checked out this is just a possible.
K

lizzydog

Jul 11, 2019
Hi Kevinl, thank you for your reply. We’ve had all the books pressure tests and the standing up quickly and sitting down test and this is seemingly not the issue. It’s just like she has some sort of power cut and drops like a rag doll unconscious.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
OH does this as he has seizures, but Im not saying that this is what is happening to your mum.
As kevin says, there are lots of reasons and we are not really in a position to advise.
See what the doctor says.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @lizzydog. Welcome to the forum.

The first thing that struck me reading your post is when your mother does fall, is she able to get up by herself? If not, she could be considered at risk .

If this was mentioned to Social Services it might enhance her chance of getting more help.

I do agree she would be best getting medical advice about these falls