new to forum

wit_send

Jul 12, 2019
omg. Found this resource and thought it would be very helpful as I am feeling at wits end. I am sure it will be over time, but I have had about 7 or 8 goes trying to register. there always seemed to be something I missed and it was hard trying to find it!! Feeling a bit of a prat- maybe it's all getting too much, yet am only at start of this part of journey. In reflection, his behaviour has been going on for years, can see it now in hindsight!
Perhaps it could be helpful to highlight areas missed.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Hi @wit_send and welcome

I can certainly empathise with your comments about behaviours and issues prior to getting any form of diagnosis. I reckon my wife was really showing tell-tale signs at least a couple of years earlier, but I put these down to stress, senior moments (even though she was only around 60 at the time) and "well, we all do that". Add in a huge helping of putting my head in the sand:rolleyes:.

I am sure you will get a lot of help and information from the lovely people on this forum, so look forward to hearing more about your "journey", should you wish to share it.

Phil

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @wit_send and welcome to DTP.

I think most people feel that they are constantly playing catch-up with dementia and we can all look back and see things in retrospect. Is it your husband and has he been diagnosed yet?

Have a mooch around the forum and you may well find things that will explain his behaviour, although do bare in mind that not everyone will get everything talked about, so dont scare yourself.
The Alzheimers Society also has a very good range of factsheets that you might find helpful
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @wit_send I`m sorry you found it so difficult to register but pleased you managed eventually and hope you will feel it was worth the trouble.

It was only with hindsight I realised my husband`s problems began years before he was diagnosed. I had experienced my mother`s dementia previously but even then did not make the connection when my husband showed signs.

It must be because people exhibit such different symptoms.

With my mother, it was definitely memory loss. With my husband is was a change in personality. He became rude towards me and verbally aggressive. Both my mother and my husband were diagnosed with Alzheimer`s and yet showed very different behaviours.

Anyway here you are and I hope you will feel well supported and find the forum helpful.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It is partly down to hoping that one has got it wrong. Those occasional strange behaviours, memory lapses and odd assertions can't be anything to do with dementia. Hindsight tells us otherwise. Once it has we can start to think back to when it all began - probably about 10 years ago in my wife's case - and wonder what we could have done differently. Nothing.

You have come to the right place @wit_send . I hope that Dementia Talking Point is as helpful to you as it has been to me since I joined over 2 years ago.