Struggling to be a Carer

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
@Moggymad Oh sure, you have to hand over your pension too towards care costs (I think it's all your govt pension, half of any private pension). You get to keep something like £23 a month to buy toiletries etc (my mother is still self funding so I can't remember the exact amount, someonelse will know).

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
@Moggymad Oh sure, you have to hand over your pension too towards care costs (I think it's all your govt pension, half of any private pension). You get to keep something like £23 a month to buy toiletries etc (my mother is still self funding so I can't remember the exact amount, someonelse will know).

Yes your right, mum is in a care home & her contribution is all but £23 of her pension. However my previous response was about contributing to domicillary care. Don't know if user contributions are down to each LA once the money gets to the lower threshold but in mums case her assessed contribution to her home care was more or less the equivalent of the low rate attendance allowance she was getting. Just saying @Rosserk in case it's not necessarily non contributory.

Rosserk

Jul 9, 2019
If you are present during the asseessment, try to get the true picture across to the adult needs assessor without causing friction. It is easier said than done, but if you get the chance you need to be honest in a subtle way as your mum will try to give a very different impression. For example, if she claims to be an avid reader but no longer reads, turn the conversation to ask about her favourite author or book. If she claims to be a good cook say how much you have always enjoyed her food, but with an emphasis on the past tense. Whatever she says that is incorrect find a way of countering it so that the assessor gets the point. If this provokes some of the aggression and confrontational attitude that you mention, although unfortunate that too ought to get the point across.

Thank you that’s really good advice