Vaccine Potential??

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I saw a BBC piece about this the other day, though it was more focussed on the test for detecting Alzheimer's at an early stage rather than the vaccine.

I think the work shows a lot of promise and let's face it, nothing else trialled so far has shown any hope. I did notice that the whole thing is based on the appearance of beta-amyloid and tau plaques yet the article states that it is not known if these proteins are the cause of Alzheimer's or merely symptoms of the disease. So there is a bit of a chicken and egg thing going on here. It is still not known what causes these proteins to become abnormal clumps.

It's good to see scientists are approaching the problem from lots of different angles. I'm not sure though, that there will ever be a cure. Lots of people also get dementia after strokes, TIAs, and (AFAIK) don't have these plaques so I'm not sure this vaccine would help those with other types of dementia.

I wish they'd get a move on though! The statistics for the increasing incedence of dementia are frightening. And twice as many PWD are women... :eek:

Rach1985

Jun 9, 2019
Yes I tend to agree, I think once one type of dementia is overcome there will be others or like you say strokes etc that can lead to plaque

I suppose the issue is we have things like cancer and heart attacks where the research is so far advanced now if not cured. But we beat these problems a hell of a lot more now. So we kinda have to have something new to die of, as everyone is living longer, and unfortunately it’s this nasty horrible disease that more and more people are getting now

Like you said at least it seems to be being looked at from different angles now though!