Care at later stage of dementia

myss

Jan 14, 2018
When you clean your mum do it while she is in bed. Use a bowl of water and a sponge, or cloth to clean her and dry her on one side, gently turn her over and clean her on the other side, then finally place her on her back to clean her private area. It is best to keep a separate cloth to clean that area. Watch out for pressure sores which look like small red marks usually on the heels, elbows, spine or bottom. These, if left, become blisters and becomes an ulcer. Once this happens it needs medical attention, but you can help to prevent it by moving her in her bed several times a day (ideally every 2 hours) - turning her over and placing her in different positions - and as soon as you start to see a red mark use barrier cream, the sort used on babies bottoms, 2 or 3 times a day.

It sounds like she would need to sit in a reclining chair - one where the back is tipped back rather than upright. In UK I would say that you need a hoist to move her as you may damage your back, but Im guessing that you cant get hold of one.
This is good advice @Rekha gupta. I was about to suggest getting a bowl of warm water and a flannel/rag as I do this for my dad, but sometimes when the need is more urgent, the same baby wipes is used instead. I'm not sure why you have found them unhelpful.

If you don't have a reclining chair, perhaps cushions may help instead.

Rekha gupta

Apr 24, 2019
This is good advice @Rekha gupta. I was about to suggest getting a bowl of warm water and a flannel/rag as I do this for my dad, but sometimes when the need is more urgent, the same baby wipes is used instead. I'm not sure why you have found them unhelpful.

If you don't have a reclining chair, perhaps cushions may help instead.
Thanks
I dont have recliner. I am using pillow but it is not much helpful. I don't know how to use baby wipes to clear her private area when she toilets in diaper.

myss

Jan 14, 2018
Thanks
I dont have recliner. I am using pillow but it is not much helpful. I don't know how to use baby wipes to clear her private area when she toilets in diaper.
I would advise using the wipes in the same way as a tissue. With my dad, I take off the diaper/pad/pant completely, wipe from back to front and change with the wipe or flannel and then put on clean dia[er/pad/pant.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
wipe from back to front
I think this is probably a typo - you are meant to go from front to back.

If you havent got a recliner try and get hold of a V shaped cushion and use a chair with arms. Put a square or rectangular cushion/pillow (or even two) at the base of the back so that she cant put her bottom so far back (this will tilt her back a bit) and place the V shaped cushion in front of this with the point at the top. Snuggle her within this V. This will help stop her slipping to one side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiabarbour