So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi everyone, long time, no see. A hugely busy few weeks, triggering a fibro flare ( worse I've ever had) and very little time spent on computor as its not particularly comfortable to do anything much at the moment.

Glad the exam stress is over for you with dau, JM. Not a nice time for anyone! I felt for you with the bleaching and hair colour - youngest is very much into all that at the moment, and with her its the usual issues with mess and being careless. I sorted about 8 or 9 towels that were a tiny bit shabby or already stained with bleach into a cupooard in the bathroom, and she was well warned to use ONLY them when dying/bleaching her hair. She took so much notice of that, that I ended up insisting she replace another 3 bath towels out of her own pocket. Another mini row over that, of course - and then just two days ago, after she and a friend had a colouring session (dau now had blue, tourquiose and purple hair!), yet another 'good' towel found with bleach stains :mad:

Know exactly what you mean about finding yourself suddenly reminded about how things have changed - and not always in the way you expect - when it comes to dementia. I can't believe Mil is still going, so many health problems, nearly 12 years since diagnosis. She remains really calm, which is a massive blessing - but she is often unwell now with her breathing, and we are just on a sort of alert all the time. Just 3 days ago, another late evening call, a duty doctor summoned to the home because of her breathing, and because she had had a fall - he wanted to admit her to hospital, but OH, after ascertaining that she wasn't in pain, that there was no evidence of any serious injury (or even minor injury) or pain after the fall, that her breathing wasn't causing any stress (she is more or less used to the coughing ad occasional panting, it seems) and that in reality, it was more or less a case of the GP covering his back, said No - and again reiterrated that she is only to go into hospital IF she is suffering and admitting her is the only way to relieve it. DNR is in place, there have been so many discussions about hospital admissions and teatment, but as soon as you add either new or agency staff or a locum GP to the mix, we have to go through it all again. Its like you having to pull the agency/care company on the same things over and over - so wearying and it just shouldn't have to be done xxx

2Jays, I hope things have started to get brighter for you, my love. Sending big squishy hugs and I prescribe a trip to the canaries - 68 days till we go again, its good to have something lijke that to look forward too xxx

Slugsta, hope the biopsy results are good, and they can sort out the other problems for you . Sending you some hugs too. Hows Sky Cat doing by the way - I often think about her? xxxx

Spamar, Hope you were able to get out - we had two weeks of what felt like constant rain, on the run up to the blessed garden project being finished - the turf, due to be laid over a week befor the 'grand' opening, couldn't be lifted due to the waterlogged fields - in the end, they finally got some to us at 4pm on the day before the opening, and it resulted in the landscapers, myself and a couple of volunteers staying till gone 8pm that night to get it finished.

The garden project is, I think, the biggest reason for the fibro playing up. The last 3 weeks of it caused a level of stress that was horrendous, as well as demanding long, long hours, in order to ensure it was finished on time. It was finished, opened by the Mayor, with a lot of guests and high ups from the charity I work for in attendance- and it looks fantastic, the feedback was amazing, and - most importantly - the young people I supported to get it done were incredibly thrilled with the result. I was determined it would include as manyof their ideas and wishes as possible, and I am proud that I managed to juggle the budget, orginse the work and work crews and deliver just about everything they wanted. But it was delivered at a price, and I will never, ever commit to a project like that again. There was a distinct lack of support, no allowances made for what it involved, and so many unecessary hurdles and issues caused by several of the 'agencies' that I had to work with, especially my employers. I actually had nightmares about the darn thing towards the end, and it totally took over my life. And as I said, left with a flare up of the fibro which is taking a hell of a long time to ease off.

The Sunday after the opening, Dau was in the RAH, perfoming with her theatre group. OH and I travelled down to Londoon, to see her, and although I would not have missed it for the world, 5 hours there and five hours back on a coach really added to my discomfort - timing couldn't have been worse, I weas in so much pain through the whole day. And so cross that a work project had resulted in me not being able to enjoy the whole thing as much as I otherwise would have done.

We have all been missing Busta very badly. Even now, I forget for a split second and look round for him, or call him for a treat or food. At the same time, the house feels 'wrong' with just two dogs here - 3 work really well for us. So, we had started talking, with no time frame, and we had decided that we would (eventually) get another dog.

Then, 3 days ago, daughter came and showed me an ad she had found - when we were looking for Luna, she signed up to several sites and is still getting notifications through. The picture was of a 13 week old Bichon Frise - and she said 'something about it had just grabbed her'. I looked at the pic, and *ping* - I fell in love. However, I told her No, not yet - and then when she went to work, spent the afternoon researching the breed. When OH came home, I showed him the ad and the photograph. Half an hour later I was on the phone to the current owner. She has always had Bichon's and had sadly lost her brother and sister pair just a few months earlier, within 9 days of each other (they were 15). She had finally decided to get another pup, chosen, paid for and arranged to collect this little fellow - and then broke her leg, very badly - around 6 months in plaster ahead, and then surgey followed by at least another 6 months till she is back on her feet. She called herself stupid for thinking she could cope, and still taking the puppy at 12 weeks - because within 24 hours, she realised she couldn't cope. She couldn't train him, walk him, stuggled to clean up after him - and so she made the best decision for the pup, though it was obviously heart breaking for her and looked for a new home for him. We were the last of maybe a dozen enquiries since she had placed the advert that afternoon. And we clicked - I apparently asked all the right questions, she wanted the pup to go where the new family were doggy experienced and had other dogs. So, the next day, off we went to Liverpool and . . .

Meet Gryff

66691352_390040211623552_209621406504189952_n.jpg
64650815_10219487443247540_7822229447200735232_n.jpg

65951494_331982454396170_4152048097402290176_n.jpg

Seamus and Luna have really taken to him, though Seamus is slightly bemused about this bold tiny white creature who has no respect for him at all - even so, Seamus' tail is constantly wagging. Luna just adores him - plays with him, so gentle with him, even very maternal and grooms him, lol - and he is her shadow.

He obviously isn't Busta, and can't replace him, no dog could - but he already has his own place with us, and it feels right. There's all the usual hard work associated with a puppy involved, but its not a chore - he has, like Luna and Shay before him - just fitted right in.

Sending masses of love to you all, as always xxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ann, it is lovely to hear from you :)

I'm so sorry to hear that all the work on the garden project, whilst being so successful, has left you in terrible pain. I can't even imagine how awful the long couch trip to RAH must have been (((hugs))). I guess you have had no time for job hunting either?!

It is very good to hear that MIL remains calm and content. It is no less than she deserves after all those years of torment.

I'm also sorry that daughter is still being such a pain. I do find it hard to accept disrespect for my belongings and even 'cheap' things turn expensive if they have to be replaced frequently :mad:

I'm glad you have another holiday to anticipate, really hope your fibro flare has resolved before then so that you can really enjoy the break. You prompted me to check how long it is until our hols - 71 days (10 weeks tomorrow) :)

Welcome to your new home Gryff. What a little sweetie he is :) The young lady who house-sits for us has a 10 year old Bichon, they seem very good natured little dogs and I wish you many years of fun with him.

Sky is still doing really well, thank you. It's hard to believe that we came so close to losing her 2 years ago! She is still on a low dose of steroid which I juggle at home depending on how itchy she is (don't think the itching is related to the original problem) and, hence, still happily confined to our bedroom. She is still terribly timid, runs and hides if either of us move too fast, but also very loving. Alf is enjoying this warmer weather and is out 'untin' for much of the day.

The weather here has been warm and dry for several weeks. The temps today are predicted to be well into the 20s but also 80% humidity, which is rather less pleasant!

Sending (((hugs))) to all.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi everybody, so good to have a catch-up! Ann and JM, sympathise over daughters! My oldest granddau has allowed her hair to grow since she left school a year ago, it’s just about sit on able now!
She does some hair modelling, but is not allowing it to be cut or coloured, just styled. She just got a new job, starting September, at the nursery school she used to attend! It will be better for her, hours are the same every week, so easier to schedule makeup sessions. She really want to do makeup, she’s very good at it, but it takes a while to break into makeup as a career!

Lovely to hear about Skycat, Slugsta.

Im just jogging along, cursing arthritis almost every day! Perhaps jogging is not the right word. Though I certainly reached a trot yesterday! Met a friend for coffee at a supermarket which has a two hour parking time. Looked at watch, one minute to go! Yikes! Silly system really, cos I had to go this morning to get the few things I wanted! Eat a lot of fruit and yogurt, neither of which keep for very long. Plus, even though it’s a small market town supermarket, can’t always get around in one go, or even with a stop for coffee.

Don’t get old! Imagine you’re feeling the same way, Ann. And you’re younger than me!
Have lost some weight, enough for people to notice and, thanks to incessant nagging from cousins wife, have bought some new clothes. That’s something I’ve not done for some years!

Love to you all!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Love to all

Nearly at the top of the ladder. Gosh it’s good to see daylight :)

Went on “holiday” to Swansea for the weekend. Son lives in South Wales and invited us to watch Swansea air show with them.

Now I love the grandchildren..... but not at 5am.... so we decided to stay in a hotel near the bay. BIG MISTAKE !!

The air show was fabulous amazing brilliant. The hotel rooms ..... well the 4* place was just ok, the restaurant food looked nice but was tepid and revolting, causing me to return one meal during the night in the en-suite......

Being a “captive audience” we had no other choice but to stay at the hotel for meals, so we thought beef burger and chip would be a relatively ok choice for something hot. Only the oven chips were hot......

Oh gosh the whole experience did make me laugh o_O :mad:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I’m so sorry, 2Jays, you must be disappointed. but I hope grandchildren were good and the air show fabulous!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I’m so sorry, 2Jays, you must be disappointed. but I hope grandchildren were good and the air show fabulous!

At least the whole experience didn’t tip me back down the ladder. It made me furious and I’ve not had that feeling, or any feelings for a while :)

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry not posted on here - life has been a littlebit of a whirlwind

@2jays so glad you are feeling better and could be furious about hotels. I tend to stick with premier inn when I go fencing (sorry take son fencing). Can get a good price if booked in advance and food is always good.

I collapsed a bit today, either relief from stress or exhaustion, but anyway dau got to prom on time last night, with suitable makeup (she isn't a make up person) and then I got her on the train for 11.30 this morning to head off on holiday. She had 2 changes to do on train, and I had been worrying about them for weeks. Her bike is fully laden with camping gear and I can't lift it, Crewe changeover was a bit tight but thankfully on opposite sides of same 'island' platform.

I did get very stressed yesterday, as I was meant to help dau with makeup but was at Drs with son, had a telephone appt within 30 mins of phoning, then a nurse practitioner appt, then she called a GP in. They weren't sure of the diagnosis, but decided in the end it was mumps, which was a relief given they thought it was a rather nasty bone infection. Swelling was in wrong place, but GP said he was the 5th boy in his year group from his school she had seen this week so probably mumps. In the evening swelling came up on other side of face so confirmed mumps. He did have all his jabs, as have most of the others at school I understand - this is the second wave of mumps through his year group this year. So hoping none of us get it now.

Showed mum photos on phone of dau, she said isn't it amazing what technology can do nowadays, when I was swiping next photo, but couldn't remember OHs name, knew he was my husband though. She is slowly going downhill (I know inevitable)

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
More ((((((Hugs))))))

Didn’t know mumps were around again. I’ve never had them - but then, I said that about chickenpox! Then got shingles last year!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
:( OMG juggles xxxxxxx

Positive thinking o_O
At least he got mumps now - tho timing could have been better - and not like a nephew who caught it at aged 25, despite jab, and may now be sterile

Got a Manchester meet up to look forward to tho how you going to juggle that one...... may be easier than you think, perhaps....

You mum..... Huge squishy hugs

xxxxx to all

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
like a nephew who caught it at aged 25, despite jab, and may now be sterile

This is a problem post about the age of 12 apparently. So far no soreness in the crucial area so hopefully fingers crossed.

On the plus side car that conked out on Tuesday (don't think I mentioned as such a minor detail in the scheme of life) was returned from garage yesterday, we were told they wouldn't even look at it before Monday. Need a new one, has now cost over £500 in repairs this year, as well as service and MOT, and probably isn't worth that much.

Dishwasher didn't wash properly over night so that might now have conked.

Will start looking at new cars, had this one from new since 2006 so it's done it's job.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
((((((Hugs)))))) JM. Everything coming at once!
OH had mumps in his twenties, apparently, but no ill effects. His dau is 50 later this year!

Just come back from coffee with friend, in time to juggle TdF and F1!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Dishwasher didn't wash properly over night so that might now have conked.

Three common, and easily fixed, problems are:
  • Buildup of debris around outlet
  • Gunge in pump/filter.
  • Faulty water level sensing, two basic types - either a float with rod going through base and operating a microswitch or a plastic capillary up the back operating a diaphragm and microswitch, the capillary can get blocked.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

2 Jays, so sorry that the hotel wasn't up to scratch - but so glad that you feel you are nearly 'at the top of the ladder' xxxx

Ouch on the arthritus Spamar - can so sympathised with the aching and pain - sending you very gentle {{{{hugs}}}}

JM, poor you - and poor son with mumps! Why did I think you were 'safe' if you've had the vaccine? Hope he' making a good, swift recovery! I'm honestly not surprised you crashed with everything you have going on, all the time. And the problems with the car and the dishwater won't have helped.

Another one 'crashed' here - currently off work. Fibro not getting any better, really struggling with pretty much constant pain, and any exertion leaving me with really awful pain in back, hips and right shoulder. I was sort of managing, had more or less caught up with admin, house looking a bit ratty as I'd had to let that go quite a bit, whilst trying to take it as easy as I could. I've filled in a report to work about the issues with the garden project, spelling out the impact it has had on me physically - and in response, got a rather unpleasant email from one of the bosses, last Tuesday, which basically put a lot of pressure on me to make a return drive to Cardif Bay (supposed to go today actually). 7 - 8 hours driving, even if I didn't stop for a break, a long day at an event, and a very clear message that I WAS to attend, which both upset and infuriated me because of the way it was phrased. I did try to make all the arrangements, train not an option because of the start time of the event - and I'm afraid I wasn't prepared to travel down the day before and stay overnight - its a big enough struggle to get the time back that I'm currently owed as it is, without adding more (and working part of my weeked). But, the thought of that drive just filled me with dread, and I got so stressed out worrying about it all, that in the end I called the GP - basically I wanted him to give me something to ease the pain so I could make the drive. No appointments till today, the best the surgery could do was get the triage nurse to phone me back. Triage made the appointment for today, told me I was not to make the drive, and that the GP would be signing me off work. I can't put into words the relief I felt at not having to make that journey. I knew I would have to allow about 6 hours for frequent stops, each way, and that even then I would be really hampered for several days by increased pain. I am still stressing because I have projects this week and next - but I also know that if I don't follow GPs instructions, I could end up having to take even more time off, further down the line. I've sorted this weeks work (project wise) but if the GP makes me take longer, then a big project I have starting next week could have to be cancelled. One of the biggest problems with this job - no one to step in and cover if I'm ill :(

Mil - still chugging along, she has had a chest infection, but not too bad. Biggest worry remians that I think she eeds supervision whikle eating now. OH found he in her room, slumpoed really far down in her seat, having just finished a meal - and she started to vomit. Thank God OH was there. She needs someone to make sure she is stitting upright while eating - not just when she is ill, but as a rule, as the COPD causes a lot of coughing fits asnd phlegm so choking is becoming more of a worry now.

Gryff - little horror - but in the cutest way, lol. Using his puppy training pads, eating like a horse, so playful - but if he doesn't stop nicking my shoes and taking them to his bed to chew them, I'll marmalise him! He had his last lot of shots on Wednesday, so will soon be able to go out - he is desperate to follow Luna and Seamus out to the garden, keeps trying to sneak out the door with them!

Dau is not helping on the stress front. On Friday, OH check the mobile bill - he pays for himself, me and dau on a special deal - and found it was over £100 higher than it should be. The bills itemised, so quick work to find that the additional costs were down to calls made by youngest. He didn't blow, very calmly asked her about it - turns out it was ringing Royal Mail over a parcel that they hadn't delivered, she hadn't realised how expensive phoning them was, and just one of the calls to them alone had cost over £25. OK - she wasn't phoning stupid premium lines, and was clearly shocked, so OH was OK with her, told her to be more careful in future - but said she would have to contribute sonething towards to bill. Cue meltdown - she ranted and raved and announced she would 'cancel her trip' to a music festival she was planning on going too - even whilst we were saying there was no need, lets sit and talk and work it out. Off she stormed - and we left her to it. The next day, no mention of it. That evening, we booked seats and luggage for the holiday. Dau announced that she couldn't really afford the extra for luggage or extra leg room seats. OH said that was OK, he had budgeted for it and we would pay. And luckily, the airline were doing a deal, 3 hold cases for the price of two, so it wasn't too bad. We had tea, and afterwards, OH, again very nicely, asked could she give some time the next day to getting the house straight. And again she blew! Announced she was having a lie in the next day, and he better not disturb her - and well, was basically unbelievably rude, and a lot of swering. He lost it - then I lost it. OH isn't the most tactful, sometimes he makes a situation worse, but on this occasion he hadn't said or done anything wrong. That was Saturday night. The next day, she came down and apologised, but neither of us are prepared to let it go at this point. I've pointed out just how reasonable we had tried to be and told her I am furious with how she responded, and for the moment, I don't really want anything to do with her. So, a wonderful atmosphere here at the moment as you can imagine - but this time, I'm not letting her off the hook. I know she has been looking forward to this music festival for ages, but I also knew she had stretched herself booking that, wanting to come on the jaunt to the IOM with me, my best friend and mates daughter, who is one of her best friends - and the holiday to the Canaries as well, and I was actually prepared to help her out. But not anymore. If she misses the festival, tough, and if she tries to 'guilt' me by saying she isn't coming to IOM either, then thats fine too - I won't feel guilty and she can miss that - up to her. But I am not helping out. Not given her attitude.

Slugsta, Amy and everyone else, hope you are all OK, and sending love to all of you, as alwys xxxx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Oh @Ann Mac

HUGS

gentle squishy ones

Listen to your body. It’s screaming out trying to protect you, in a way, so just listen and REST !

As to the mental rest you need due to adorable !! Girl...... oh my...... no words of wisdom just more hugs

xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Gosh, Ann, don’t know how you cope! All sympathies re fibro, by the way.
I’ve been taking turmeric for about 2 months and I think it has done some good, back ( til now!) certainly not so bad. Feet still awful, but I think that’s a different type of arthritis! Will double my turmeric dose, see if that works on more places. It worked for a friend!

No podiatrist today, her son has chickenpox! I said, thought it was mumps going around. She informed there are three in his class with chickenpox. And they’ve had the relevant jab!

Dull here today, not sure whether I’m pleased or not, not too keen on really hot weather!

Gosh, all that sport yesterday, have never flipped channels so much! Plus had the iPad tuned in.

Have a good day, ladies, regards to you all.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ann, I'm sorry - but not actually surprised - that your fibro has flared so badly. You have been pushed to your limits and your poor body is telling you that you need a proper break (((hugs))). The attitude of your boss is disgusting :mad:

Sorry also that your daughter is only adding to your load, rather than helping. She is hugely privileged to be able to do a festival, or IOW or the holiday. She will realise that in the future, but that doesn't help you now! I know her big sis has spoken to her in the past, do you think that would help now?

Poor MIL, I'm sorry she is having these choking episodes :(

Spamar, I'm glad you are finding the turmeric helpful but sorry that you are still in pain.

(((hugs)) to all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GillWife